Chapter 37

Last night, I thought I'd overcome my jealousy about Freen. But today, as I spotted them again in the library—this time with Mushroom—I couldn't shake the feeling. Mushroom smirked when he caught me looking at them, and I rolled my eyes, trying to focus on my book.

My goal was to study hard for my exam today. But Mushroom was really getting on my nerves. He brought Freen and Heng over to a nearby shelf, almost like he wanted me to overhear their conversation. Freen seemed oblivious to my presence.

Feeling frustrated, I scanned the library for Irin. Thankfully, she was here. I signaled to her, and she whispered, "Looking for me?"

"Yeah, the fungi's back. Got any antifungal?" I whispered back, aware that we couldn't talk too openly in there.

Irin let out a sigh and pulled out her phone. After scrolling for a bit, she showed me something with a blank expression. It was an article stating that Freen and Seng were dating. Someone had witnessed it firsthand. Meanwhile, I was just seen as a friend.

The pictures showed them in Singapore, setting up an event stage, chatting outside Freen's dorm. Right, he was the boyfriend, and I was the one with access to her room. Did Freen even know about this?

"Rumors suggest Mushroom might've started this, spreading fake dating pics," Irin said, her frustration evident. "That blockhead's really pushing to be Chankimha's future son-in-law."

I tried to tune out their gossip and concentrate on studying. But when the exam arrived, I couldn't focus—I was too preoccupied with thoughts of them.

Was Freen aware of Mushroom's lies? I didn't want to ask her; she had enough on her plate. I didn't want to mess with her head.

After class, I made my way to Freen's room, but she wasn't there. Her neighbor informed me that Seng had just picked her up, flowers in hand. Her neighbor even giggled like a fan of their "ship." It was beyond annoying.

"Where you headed?" Irin questioned when she saw me leaving the girls' dorm building.

"Looking for Freen," I replied.

"She's in the library, probably prepping for her exam tomorrow," she informed me.

"Is Seng with her?" I asked.

Irin furrowed her brows and shook her head. "I didn't see him. She was alone."

I felt a wave of relief. I wanted to hunt down the person who'd misled me about Seng's presence. They deserved a serious talking-to.

"Alright, I guess I'll head back to my room," I told Irin, and she nodded.

Should I message Freen? Would that be too clingy? What if she needed to rest? My mind spun with thoughts as I paced in my room, eventually throwing my phone on the bed.

I grabbed a towel and robe, deciding a shower might help clear my head.

I wish I could see her right now. I might even cry!

Suddenly, three loud knocks jolted me out of my thoughts. Anxiously, I headed to the door to see who it was.

"I've missed you," she said as she entered.

As I shut the door, Freen embraced me from behind, her weariness evident. She'd brought just a book—clearly, she'd been studying hard.

"Let's stay like this for a moment," Freen suggested, resting her chin on my shoulder and taking a deep breath. It tickled, but I didn't move. She seemed so comfortable, and I didn't want to ruin that.

"Aren't you hungry? I could order something for you," I offered. "What do you want to eat?"

"You," she whispered, playfully nibbling my ear and giggling.

I disentangled myself, giving her a mock glare. Freen laughed and moved to my study area, placing her book on the table and taking a seat.

"Come here, babe," she beckoned, patting her lap. "I've been craving a hug after such a tiring day."

An odd electric sensation zipped through me, making my heart race when I settled onto her lap, her arms around me. Yes, we were a couple now, but this feeling still felt new and exciting.

Was this what being in love was like? What had she done to me?

"Do you need some rest? Maybe you should get some sleep?" I inquired.

Freen shook her head, letting out a sigh. "I just want to be close to you until tomorrow." Her voice carried a hint of sadness, and I could tell she was truly drained.

"Then let's cuddle up in bed. This position might help you relax more," I suggested, standing up.

Guiding Freen to the bed, we snuggled up together. I felt at ease, like I could fall asleep right there. But I also had questions.

"How was your day? Who did you spend time with?" I inquired.

"Heng," she answered, her response brief.

"Just Heng?" I pressed, needing to be sure.

"Yep."

But it was clear she wasn't telling me everything.