Chapter 22

Finally, my second year is over. No more dealing with professors, no more events to attend. But now, I'm stuck dealing with my annoying brother who won't stop pestering me about going back to England.

"I've already said it a hundred times, I'm not going!" I shouted at him, frustration bubbling up. "I have things to take care of here. Stuff I can't just leave behind."

He looked at me skeptically. "Like what?"

Honestly, I wasn't entirely sure.

"Just a bunch of stuff, okay? Stop bothering me!" I tossed a pillow at him, and he let out an exasperated sigh.

"Are you still hung up on that whole Chankimha thing? Look, I told you, Mr. Chankimha messaged me, and I didn't know Freen's mom was involved. I was just passing on the message," Richie explained, but I tuned him out.

Ever since that awkward encounter with Mrs. Chankimha, I've been avoiding Freen. Not because she asked me to, but because I'm not sure how to act around her anymore.

I wasn't like this before. When I first saw her, I had a crush on her, but things changed when I saw a different side of her. It's like she has two personalities. Sometimes she's rude, but other times she's caring and adorable. I find comfort when she's around, but at the same time, I get all nervous. I hate it when she annoys me, but I hate it even more when she ignores me.

"Rebecca, you're spacing out again," Richie sighed, attempting to pull me up from my bed. I pushed him away.

"I'm not going anywhere!" I protested, tossing the last pillow I had.

Great, now I'm pillow-less.

"Dad's calling," Richie mentioned, handing me the phone.

I eagerly accepted the phone and answered the video call. My dad looked older than the last time I saw him. When was that again? I couldn't recall. It had been years.

"I miss you, sweetheart," his voice made me crack a small smile. "How are you holding up? Eating well? Taking care of yourself?"

"Yeah, dad, I'm okay," I replied, a soft chuckle escaping me.

"Richie told me you're still refusing to come back home. When are you planning to visit?" he asked.

I adjusted myself so he could see me better. "Probably for graduation. You guys will come, right?"

Dad nodded gently, wiping a tear from his eye. He signaled my mom, and they both smiled at me. I smiled back.

"Alright, if you're set on staying there, we'll give you your space. But promise you'll come back after graduation, okay?" Mom chimed in.

"Yeah, I promise," I assured her, saying my goodbyes.

I handed the phone back to Richie, who let out a sigh.

"Fine, I'll leave you alone now," he mumbled, exiting my room.

I tidied myself up because I was headed to the library. Most of the students had gone home, so it'd be a quiet place to study. I wasn't sure if Freen had gone home too, but I assumed she did. She's an only child, and her parents must be missing her.

On my way to the library, I spotted Freen with a guy. The same guy from the café. Are they joined at the hip now? Maybe she's found herself a boyfriend. Good for her.

Inside the library, there they were, being all lovey-dovey. It made me roll my eyes. Seriously, what was she doing in the library? Trying to keep their relationship a secret from other students? Nice try, Chankimha.

I focused on the book in front of me, but my mind wandered to what Mrs. Chankimha had said. She didn't want Freen hanging out with girls, fearing she'd turn out like her dad. Like, what? Gay? What's the big deal about being gay?

I scoffed, remembering her words. She should be thankful she's way older than me.

I closed the book, about to leave, when I saw Freen let out a sigh as the guy walked away. She fanned herself and massaged her temple.

Why was she like this? Could it be that she's just pretending with this guy?

Our eyes met, and she smiled at me—a genuine smile of relief. A smile that seemed real.

"Haven't you gone home yet?" she asked as she approached me.

"Where's your fling?" I inquired, looking around.

"Kaownah? He went to grab something. Do you want to meet him?" she offered.

"No, thanks. I'm good," I replied, excusing myself.

Why did she even think I wanted to meet her lover? We're not friends.

"See you later, Becca!" Freen waved as I walked away. I nodded.

Her smile sent my heart racing again. This is all wrong. I need to keep my distance.

a/n: Say hi to my babies HAHAHA.