Special Chapter

FREEN'S POV

"Are you going to the library or not?" Mom asked me.

"No!" I yelled, sprinting over to my father, and hugged him tightly, but he gently pulled away.

"Freen, you have to study. What will you do in the future if we're no longer around?" he asked, tousling my hair. "How about I treat you to something nice every time you study?"

I slowly nodded.

Ever since I was a kid, my parents wanted me to study different subjects. I was only 10 at the time, a young girl who just wanted to play with her dolls. However, I didn't enjoy my childhood because I had to study from day to night.

I didn't have the chance to go out, which is why I didn't have any friends. I was a loner.

That changed when I spotted a girl walking to the library alone. Out of nowhere, a guy approached her and asked her not to go to the library but to play football with him.

The girl ignored the guy and entered the library. She was stunning, even with her serious expression. She seemed so tough despite her long black hair and lovely face.

The girl went to a shelf filled with different law books. My eyes widened when she picked one and started reading it quietly in a corner.

How could she understand that at her age?

I wanted to be friends with her, but just as I was about to sit beside her, she gave me a stern look and gestured for me to leave.

But that didn't stop my determination. I wanted to be friends with her. I wanted to be like her - someone who enjoyed studying, reading, and writing. This girl would probably become a genius when we grow up.

She became my inspiration for visiting the library often. Although I wasn't reading a book, I was there to watch her and admire how cool she was.

The guy reappeared, and I realized they were siblings. The girl wanted to study, and the boy wanted to play. They were adorable, but in the end, the girl won, and her brother left her alone.

Days passed, and I did everything to get her to notice me. I decided to read the books she was reading, except for law; I didn't like that. I tried to enter her world.

One time, there was something she couldn't understand, so I approached her. It was about business, and since my father talked to investors a lot, I had gained some knowledge from him. I taught her what I knew, and that's how we started to become friends. She introduced herself as Becky Armstrong.

But life can be really tough. My mother accused my father of cheating with a guy. She claimed he was meeting someone and that we had to move, leaving my father behind.

I went with my mother, leaving my only friend without saying goodbye. I felt so guilty back then. I wished I could have explained it to her. However, Becky seemed unfazed. She didn't even contact me, even though she knew how. Maybe she was too busy studying and didn't have time for friends.

My mother and I eventually returned to my father, and he apologized. But something in his eyes was different. It was as if my mother would never have come back unless he admitted to something that never happened.

I knew deep down that my father would never cheat. He loved us more than anything and would do anything for us.

I was so happy when that time came. The next morning, I went to the library to ask the librarian if Becky still came around, but she said that Becky had already left. She was going somewhere. I asked if she had left any contact information, but she hadn't.

My heart sank. She was my first-ever friend, and the only girl I was comfortable with. I was young back then, but I knew deep inside that Becky was one of a kind, and I would never like anyone the way I liked her. I would do anything in my power to protect her.

--
"Leave her, or she won't graduate from that university," Mom said.

I understood how difficult the situation was. My mom had caught me calling Becky, and she had figured out that I liked her.

I'm not homophobic; she was. She wanted me to be like her, so she did whatever it took.

"Why do I have to choose between them, Mom? Can't you be happy for me?" I asked.

"Happy for you? You're gay?" She yelled at me. "You won't have a bright future, Sarocha, if you're gay. People like that don't have a future!"

"You're the one who doesn't have one! It's because of you and your attitude!" I yelled back, and she slapped me.

"Marry Seng if you don't want me to ruin your lover's future. You know what I can do, Sarocha. You know I can make her life a living hell inside that university!" She threatened me.

But the thing I hated about myself was that I was a coward. I was afraid of what my mother could do, so I became her puppet.

It was hard. It was painful. But part of loving someone is letting go. I was so in love with her, but I couldn't do anything for her because I wasn't that powerful.

The video was scripted. I knew all of it. Seng was enjoying the fame while I was in the shadows, hiding because I couldn't speak for myself. It was tough, but I didn't have a choice.

Now, it's our graduation day, and I can't even look Becky in the eyes. I went to their department building just to see her, and she remained the same - the poker-faced Becky I once knew.

"Hey," she said, smiling gently. "Congrats."

I only looked at her, so proud. If I had disobeyed my mother and loved her, would she still be wearing that gown?

"Thank you, and congrats. I knew you would do well," I said.

"Anyway, thank you." Becky handed me a gift. "It's my farewell gift for you. Thank you for being a part of my college life. I somehow survived it with you." She flashed a smile, the one she never gave to anyone.

I love you, Becky. I never stopped.

"Thank you," I said. "I'm sorry; I didn't prepare a gift. I didn't know you were leaving."

"It's fine," Becky said and chuckled. "I have to go."

"When are you coming back?" I asked before she turned her back.

Becky shrugged and smiled at me. "I'm staying there for good."

"So, it's a goodbye?" I asked.

"Yeah." She turned her back, and my tears started to well.

I had waited until graduation to be honest with my feelings for her, but destiny had other plans.

But I'll still wait for you, Becky. Even if there's no guarantee that you'll be back, I'll wait for you. I'll do everything, and I hope that when you come back, I'll be ready to fight for you.

To be continued...