Chapter 13

After that event, Freen and I stopped talking to each other completely. She also learned that I had accepted Nat's offer, but her reaction was muted, since we had already moved on from each other.

Our "done" meant that I no longer needed to be her tutor, as she had already completed her lessons with me.

Whenever I had free time, I'd head to an empty room to teach Nat about various types of law: Criminal, Corporate, Psychology, and the like. He was progressing decently, though not as quickly as Freen.

Fast forward to our university days. Sports weren't really my thing, so I opted for an activity with fewer participants – camping.

I often wondered why the university hadn't canceled the camping trip, considering it only had two participants: myself and someone else I didn't care about.

Setting up my tent, I marveled at the peaceful scenery around me. I couldn't fathom why people didn't enjoy being here. The lush green view and the calming atmosphere were a balm for my mind.

Maybe their apprehension was due to insects or animals at night. Being alone on the mountain might feel unsettling to them, but for me, it was my sanctuary.

"So, it's you who decided to join me here?" A familiar voice interrupted my task of building a bonfire, prompting me to furrow my brows.

What on earth?

"If I had known it was you, the solitary student who signed up, I might have rethought joining," I mumbled, concentrating on igniting the gathered wood. "No wonder the school didn't cancel this event despite the lone participant," I whispered to myself, shaking my head in disbelief.

"Are you still mad at me?" she inquired.

With a sigh, I looked at her. I recalled her words from that day – her views on love between the same gender and society's varying perceptions of it. Was she the embodiment of that societal perspective?

"Could you just leave me alone? Just for today, Chankimha. I'm really not in the mood to argue with you," I replied before entering my tent after lighting up the bonfire.

As I was about to zip it shut, she slipped inside as well and sighed.

"My tent got torn, there's a big hole. I don't have a spare," she explained.

"And that's my problem because?" I retorted, crossing my arms. I gestured for her to leave, but she stood her ground.

"Am I supposed to sleep outside then?" she pleaded, looking at me with big, imploring eyes.

"First off, I'm not the one with the damaged tent. And second, I couldn't care less about you, so why should I bother about where you sleep?" I said, pushing her out and zipping the tent closed.

Freen didn't continue to pester me, but her shadow was cast by the bonfire's light outside.

The night grew colder, which could explain why she remained outside. Maybe the chill was bothering her. Yet, it shouldn't be my concern.

I attempted to sleep, her presence already having ruined my peace, but I couldn't ignore the silhouette just beyond the tent flap. Why was she lingering outside my tent?

Ugh, seriously!

I sat up, unzipped the tent, and saw her sitting there. I called her name twice, but she remained motionless. Was she asleep while sitting?

Approaching her cautiously, I noticed her eyes were closed. It was only then that I spotted a dried blood stain on her knee.

"Why didn't you tell me you were hurt?" I asked, retrieving the first aid kit from my bag.

By the time I returned, she was awake, looking at me with sleepy eyes.

"Sorry if I woke you up," she murmured, her gaze meeting mine.

Shaking my head, my annoyance didn't dissipate. It wasn't about her keeping me awake; it was about her not informing me of her injury. If I had noticed earlier, I would've tended to her wound.

"It's fine. The pain's subsided," Freen attempted to snatch the band-aid from me, but I shot her a stern look.

Her stomach growled, causing me to roll my eyes once more. What was she even doing out here if she couldn't handle herself?

"I've got a tuna sandwich in my bag. Do you like it?" I asked, not giving her much of a choice.

"As much as I'd want to eat, I'm allergic," she replied, managing a slight smile. She took out marshmallows from her bag instead.

"Marshmallows for dinner? That's an interesting choice," I remarked, letting her do as she pleased.

She toasted the marshmallows over the fire and enjoyed them with a childlike glee, while I simply observed. She even offered me one, but I declined.

Freen seemed like a carefree kid at that moment, lost in her enjoyment.

"When you're done eating, come inside the tent. It'll be more comfortable for sleeping," I instructed, retreating into the tent.

The tent wasn't overly spacious, but it could accommodate two people. Hopefully, she wasn't too particular.

After a few minutes, Freen entered the tent, gingerly lying down on the sleeping pad. She let out a contented sigh and met my gaze.

"Thanks, Armstrong. I'm feeling better now," she said. "And I apologize if my earlier words upset you."

"Now you realize you were mistaken," I replied, rolling my eyes once more.

"My father had an affair with a gay person. It nearly tore our family apart. He's also the reason we had to keep moving, leaving my only friend behind. My mom warned me that being around gay people would bring bad luck and ruin me, so I tried to avoid them. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings," she explained, a faint, awkward smile on her lips.

"So, your homophobia stems from that?" I inquired, scoffing. "Freen, not all gay people are like that. I thought you were smarter than that."

"Every gay person I've encountered has hurt me, Becky. Would you believe I was once attracted to girls?" Freen asked, a chuckle escaping her. "But, just like everyone else, she left me. Without a word. Without any warning."

"That person was certainly in the wrong," I commented, turning my back to her. "Let's get some sleep now before you start crying. I'm not exactly great at comforting people."