Chapter 47

Becky took me to a building, and we headed to her condo unit. It was surprisingly spacious – a place I could easily hang out in for a while.

"Did you know my friend Irin used to live here? She married my brother and they moved to England," Becky mentioned, motioning for me to follow her so she could show me around.

Irin married her brother? I didn't realize they had a history. I'd heard Irin had a crush on him, but I never expected they'd end up getting married.

"You cool with this place? The security here is top-notch, so your stalker won't be able to bother you," Becky assured me. "Just be cautious if you're heading out alone."

Once I had all my stuff in the room, Becky gave me a tour of the building and the neighboring units.

"Check this out, the unit next door has a new owner. He bought it months ago, but he only decided to move in today after returning from another country," she said.

"Freen?" a familiar voice called out behind us. Becky and I turned to see who it was. "Becky?" The guy furrowed his brows.

"You're the new owner?" Becky asked.

Turns out, it was Kaownah, and he seemed pretty surprised to find us together.

"Wait, why are you two hanging out?" he inquired.

"That's not your concern," Becky retorted, placing her hand on my waist.

She gave him a fierce look while I exchanged glances with her. Did she suspect Kaownah too? It wasn't completely impossible. He used to give me a hard time, and now he's moved in – maybe after seeing me here. But that sounds a bit far-fetched. I hadn't planned on staying here, and he'd bought his place months ago.

"I'll leave you guys to it then," Kaownah said, heading into his unit and shutting the door.

Becky removed her hand from my waist, pulled me into her condo, and shut the door behind us.

"Isn't that the guy who nearly—" Becky cut herself off, realizing what she was about to say. "Nevermind, I'm sorry."

Becky stayed by my side as I unpacked my things. She watched me for a moment and then looked at the gift box she'd given me years ago. I guessed she was wondering why I hadn't opened it yet.

Honestly, I'd never wanted to open it. I wanted to keep it special, just as it was.

"Why haven't you opened this?" she asked, curious.

"Do I need to explain? Is it part of your job now?" I replied with a chuckle.

Becky glanced at her wristwatch. "It's 8 in the evening already, work hours are done. Can I ask as your old schoolmate?"

"You always have a snappy answer, don't you?" I said with a sigh. "You gave this to me, and I wanted to keep it unopened, like a special memory."

"Why? Aren't you even a bit curious about what's inside?" she wondered.

"If it's from you, I'm guessing it's something heartfelt," I told her before snatching the gift from her.

Now, I was curious. As she saw me show interest in the gift, she softened toward me again – a change from when we first met after five years. Was there something inside that I wasn't aware of?

Her phone buzzed once more, and she excused herself to take the call.

"Yeah, I'm in my condo," she said into the phone. "No worries, I can handle it myself. Alright, catch you later. Bye!" She hung up and turned to me.

"New girlfriend?" I teased.

"I've got to head out now. See you tomorrow," she said, brushing off my question.

I couldn't really protest; she was right. I'd be fine here. She'd be back in the morning.

a/n: I'll update many chapters as I can today. Since next week I will be very busy. I hope you enjoy reading!