Chapter 52

Last night was a restless one, thanks to the unsettling things I read. Luckily, Becky wrapped her arms around me, giving me some comfort for a little while.

Still, sleep eluded me. The fear of the stalker's possible intrusion and harm gnawed at me. It wasn't just my own safety I was worried about – I couldn't bear the thought of him hurting Becky too.

"You're drifting off, what's on your mind?" Becky asked as she looked out while eating.

Friend followed my gaze and she chuckled. I shook my head, forcing a smile.

How could I open up about the letter from last night? She believed she had caught the stalker already.

"Tell me, Freen. Remember, no secrets between us," Becky said, and I nodded.

"Someone threw a stone at me last night when I was outside. There was a letter with it, claiming that I belong to him," I explained with a sigh. "I think Kaownah wasn't the only stalker."

"Kaownah had an unhealthy fixation on you. His room was filled with pictures of you, but we couldn't find the camera he used. So, I figured he either threw the stone, or someone was selling him your pictures," Becky said, glancing at Friend. "Remember, someone was tailing Freen recently, right?"

"Yeah, Nat mentioned it. He claimed to be your fiancé," Friend added, turning to me. "Is this guy really that obsessed with you?"

"I'm not sure," I replied with a shake of my head. "He's more into money than knowing anything about me. He doesn't even know my favorite flower. I doubt he'd stoop to this level."

"People can surprise you, Freen. That weird mushroom guy might be planning something, and his odd behavior could be part of it," Becky said with a sigh. "But I've got a plan."

"What's your plan?"

"Introduce me to your parents. Let's provoke him, Freen. If he realizes you've chosen me over him, he might lose it and make a mistake. That's when we'll know if he's the one sending those creepy letters," Becky explained.

***

I paid a visit to my parents and was surprised to find Seng there too. He was chatting with my parents, his grin fading when he saw me.

Maybe he thought I was alone.

"Mom, Dad," I said with a smile. "I want to call off the engagement."

Seng's smile vanished the moment my words hit him. "There's no way you can do that, Freen. Your parents' company needs investors, and I'm here to help. Aren't you grateful?" he sneered.

"Then I'll pitch in too. How much? Millions? Billions? Just name it," Becky chimed in, placing a hand on my waist. "Mr. and Mrs. Chankimha. I'm Atty. Rebecca Patricia Armstrong, from the Armstrong Group of Companies. You might have heard of us."

Dad smiled at Becky. From the beginning, he liked her for me, but he hasn't been able to oppose my mom's choices. Maybe this time he could step in. Becky could help them more than Seng.

"Proof?" Seng asked skeptically, raising an eyebrow.

Becky sighed and showed him her black card. "Treat yourself something nice," she said, offering the card to Seng, who shockingly didn't take it.

I smiled and looked away, amused by his reaction.

"If my daughter doesn't want to marry you, I can't argue with that," Dad said, grinning at me. I mouthed a silent 'thank you.'

"But Mrs. Chankimha and I had an understanding," Seng protested, turning to my embarrassed mother.

"However, there's no contract yet. Consider the deal off," Mom asserted, causing Seng to storm out.

Becky and I watched him leave before turning to my parents.

"Mr. and Mrs. Chankimha, I'm ready to do whatever it takes to win your daughter's heart. I want to marry her," Becky declared, her determination shining through.

"It's been years, Armstrong. I've never been wrong about you," Dad said with a smile, patting her on the shoulder.