Ch. 21-He Knows

The days had been passing by, and Hitoshi couldn't help but notice that Midoriya seemed to be getting weaker as time went on. He had been trying his best not to worry, telling himself that maybe Midoriya just needed some time to recover from everything he had been through. But one evening, about a week into Midoriya's stay with them, everything changed.

Midoriya had been in the kitchen, trying to prepare a meal for everyone, but suddenly he stumbled, his face turning pale as he clutched onto the counter for support. Hitoshi rushed over to him, concern evident in his eyes. "Izuku, are you okay?"

Midoriya tried to smile, but it was weak and forced. "I'm... I'm fine, Hitoshi. Just a little dizzy, that's all."

But before Hitoshi could say anything else, Midoriya started coughing violently. The coughs turned harsh and wet, and soon, he was coughing up blood. Hitoshi's eyes widened in horror, and before he knew it, Midoriya had collapsed onto the floor, unresponsive.

Hitoshi's heart was pounding in his chest as he called for help, panic and fear coursing through his veins. Aizawa rushed into the kitchen, his eyes widening at the sight before him. He immediately picked up Midoriya, gently cradling him in his arms, and without a word, he motioned for Hitoshi to follow.

In the backseat of the car, Hitoshi held onto Midoriya tightly, trying to keep him steady as Aizawa drove to the hospital. The atmosphere inside the car was tense, and no one spoke a word. The only sound that filled the air was the soft sobs escaping from Hitoshi.

When they finally arrived at the hospital, the staff recognized Midoriya and rushed to his aid, immediately taking him away for examination. Hitoshi stood there, feeling lost and helpless, tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Is he... Is he going to be okay?" Hitoshi choked out, turning to Aizawa with desperation in his eyes.

Aizawa's voice was shaky as he responded, tears glistening in his eyes too. "I don't know, Hitoshi. I don't know."

He clenched his fists, muttering under his breath, "Why him? Why now? He was supposed to have two years dammit...I'm not ready. He's supposed to have more time, we're supposed to have more time."

Hitoshi's eyes widened in shock and confusion. "Two years? What do you mean?"

Aizawa took a deep breath, his voice breaking. "Izuku... he's been living with a terminal illness. I thought we had more time, but I didn't know it would progress this quickly. He didn't want to burden anyone with his condition, so he kept it a secret."

Hitoshi felt like the ground beneath him had been ripped away. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Midoriya, the one who always smiled and stood so strong, had been going through this all alone.

"Why didn't he tell anyone?" Hitoshi asked, his voice shaking with emotion.

Aizawa's shoulders slumped, tears rolling down his cheeks. "He didn't want to be a burden. He didn't want people to treat him differently. He wanted to protect us."

Hitoshi's heart ached, and he clutched onto Aizawa's arm for support. "But He's not burden! He's our friend, and we should be there for him."

Aizawa nodded, his grip tightening around Hitoshi. "You're right, Hitoshi. We've been trying to get him to open up about it but he wanted to wait until the time was right. I should have told you. I'm sorry I didn't. I thought he'd have enough time to tell you himself."

Hitoshi takes a step back in horror, eyes filled with angry tears, "So is this it?! He just comes into our lives, makes us love him, then just leaves?!"

Aizawa gave his son a knowing look, bringing Hitoshi back to reality, sending him plunging into his father's chest in a fit of uncontrollable sobbing.

When Hitoshi calms down enough to breathe again, he pulls away from his father and speaks, "Do you think he knows how much we love him?"

"He knows."
Aizawa says with a soft smile, bittersweet and filled with sorrow, as he pulls Hitoshi close again, cradling him in his arms.

"He knows"

And with that, the two of them sat there in the hospital waiting room, holding onto each other for support, both hoping and praying that Midoriya would be okay. But in that moment, they knew that things would never be the same again.