Chapter 1 "Unlucky Charms"

It's been three years since the passing of Amber and Jessica. The day of Amber's passing was the day her and Leslie were supposed to be married. To this day, Leslie is still dealing with her depression. No matter what she did, she just couldn't get her off her mind. Kelly came down the stairs, rubbing his eyes.

"Morning."

"Morning." Leslie replied, while making breakfast.

"How'd you sleep?"

"I've had better nights. How about you?"

"I actually slept good, for once." He laughed.

"I never thanked you for moving in with me."

"You don't need to. I'm happy to help out in any way I can."

"Don't you feel weirded out by this?"

"By what?"

"You donated four years ago when I made the decision to have a baby. Now we're raising her together."

"She's not mine."

"I'm not saying you can't call yourself her father. That's what you are, I can't change that. No one can."

"I agreed when I signed the donor forms that I relinquish all rights. I can't consider myself or call myself her father."

"I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just saying, if you want to consider yourself her father, you can. I'm not going to stop you."

"But-"

"I want you to be apart of Ember's life."

"Where did you come up with that name anyway?"

"Do you not like it? I can change it."

"No, I love it. I think it's beautiful."

"Then why did you ask about it?"

"I'm just curious, where did you come up with the name?"

"You know the embers from a fire?"

"Yeah."

"I was still a firefighter and you were too. That's where I came up with the name."

"You didn't know I was the donor then."

"I'm just telling you that's where I came up with the name."

Ember could be heard crying from her room, so Leslie set the flipper on the counter and ran in.

"What's wrong, baby girl?"

She didn't answer, but only cried more.

"Mommy's here." She laid Ember's head on her shoulder and walked back out to the kitchen.

"She looks just like you." Kelly smiled.

"You think so?"

"I really do."

After breakfast was done and Ember was napping, Leslie went into the file box in her home office. She sifted through it and when she found what she was looking for, she ran back into the living room. Kelly was sitting on the couch watching the morning news. She walked over and tossed a piece of paper in his lap.

"What's this?" He asked, lifting the paper up.

"Ember's birth certificate."

"Why are you giving it to me?"

"I'm not giving it to you."

"Then why did you hand it to me?"

"I signed where it says birth mother."