Chapter 4 "This Isn't The First Time"

The next day was Saturday, the night of the high school homecoming dance. MacKenzie walked into the firehouse, a packet of paper in hand.

"What do you think you're doing out of the hospital young lady?" Hermann asked her.

"Antonio bailed me out."

"You really should stay there one more night. Where's Diego?"

"He's out too."

"Why'd you guys leave? You inhaled smoke and he was beaten." Herrmann said with concern in his voice.

"We're fine. It wasn't so bad that we needed to stay home or anything. It was just an overnight watch, not really a big deal."

"Mackenzie, what are you doing here?" The chief asked.

"I'm fine."

"You need to get back to the hospital right now."

"They cleared me."

"What are you looking for?"

"Are my parents here?"

"The laundry room." He pointed out.

She walked in and slammed the packet of paper down on the dryer.

"What's got you angry this time?" Matt asked her.

"You went to the board and had them cancel the dance?! Are you out of your mind?!"

"Half the school is damaged from smoke."

"The auditorium is a completely separate place from the school. Simply rope off the area of the school that's damaged. Problem solved."

"It's not that easy, Kenzie. That area is a red zone." Gabby told her.

"Mom, go back to them. Tell them that it's fine."

"We can't do that."

"This is my first homecoming dance. I can't miss it. I'm begging you!"

"I think there's a function hall downtown somewhere." Matt said.

"Dad, the dance starts in four hours. We need to tell the caterers of the venue change, we need to tell the DJ, we need to tell everyone."

"I don't mean to interrupt, but I heard you're having some trouble?"

The three of them turned to see Xander in the doorway.

"Yeah, we are."

"I know the guy who owns the venue downtown. I can hook you up. Let me make a few calls."

"Are you sure you can get it done? We still need time to get everything situated."

"It'll only take a few minutes. I can call the caterer and all those other people."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm happy to help."

"Why do you want to help me out?"

"I use to go to Lakeshore High, I graduated from there six years ago."

"Did something like this happen when you were there?"

"A fire burned down more than half the school. We had to re-locate the venue, where classes were, everything. There's at least five other high schools in town that will take you guys until it's rebuilt."

Mackenzie hopped off the dryer and sulked back out to the main room. When she got out, everyone was holding up decorations for the dance.

"What is this?"