Chapter 15 "Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures"

Harley turned the gun on Nadia. Nadia immediately froze and couldn't move.

"You won't give up, will you?"

"Why don't you give yourself up?"

"And ruin all the fun? I don't think so."

"What's the point in holding us hostage? And the kids?"

"Their parents are bad people, they're gonna grow up to be bad people like them."

"You don't know them at all if you think that."

"They will be bad people just like their parents."

"Surrender yourself and we won't have to shoot all of you."

"I only came into this unit to spy on every one of you. From the day I turned fifteen, my parents abandoned me. I've been on my own since that day."

"That doesn't mean you need to take it out on us."

"My parents were CPD too. They abandoned me when my father got shot and was paralyzed. They didn't tell me they were leaving, they just went and left."

"We didn't do anything to you."

"The department as a whole did."

"They didn't do anything to you either!"

"They were supposed to be there for me and they weren't."

"It wasn't the department's job."

"How would you feel being abandoned?!"

Erin spoke up. "I was raised by the two worst human beings alive. They were out every night on some street corner doing drugs. They were always out at some bar drinking, they were never home. I learned to deal with it, to push it aside."

"At least yours stuck around."

"Yeah that didn't happen."

"You said they were there."

"I saw them maybe once, or twice a week at most."

Harley aimed the gun at Kim. "And you, little miss I'm so freaking perfect. No one gives a crap. Big deal. I had a thing for my childhood crush and he never saw me again. The last time I saw him was second grade and then he moved halfway across the country. He's married and has a family of his own now. Do you know how that makes me feel?"

"No, I don't. I can sympathize with you. I know who you are, where you're coming from."

"Shut up!"

Leslie spoke up. "Why don't you shut up? She didn't do anything to you."

"At least I don't have a baby with a guy and then sleep around with girls."

"What did you just say?"

"Are you deaf? Did you not hear me?"

"I had a baby with my best friend, so what?"

"It's called go to a doner."

"He offered."

"That's still wrong."

"How is that wrong?"

"When you have a doner, you aren't supposed to know who it is."

"Quit giving us the sob story how your parents just up and left you. I'm not believing you for a second."

"I've had enough of you and your mouth."

"I'd had enough of you the day you stepped into the district."

"Who cares?"

"Everyone I work for cares. None of us like you. No one at the firehouse likes you either. They all know you're a snitch."

"Who cares what a bunch of dumb firefighters think of me?"

"Don't you ever talk about them like that."

"You really shouldn't have opened your mouth, you know."

"Why?"

"This is why." She picked up the gun, aiming it at her and fired.

Leslie hit the floor with a thud and started gasping for air.

"NO!" Kim ran to her side and started pushing on her chest.

"Don't you die! Come on!" Nadia yelled.

Sylvie and Xander were hanging out in the kitchen when the alarm went off.

"Ambulance sixty one, officer down. Old abandoned warehouse on thirty sixth."

Her head shot up. "Oh no. That can't be good..."

They got into the ambulance and took off.