Chapter 28 "A Familiar Face"

After group, she walked upstairs to the room she would be staying in. It was a small room, about college dorm room size.

"I know, it looks scary. That's what I thought when I got here, too. Don't worry, it's all gonna be okay."

She turned around because she recognized the voice that spoke.

"Griffin?!"

"Yeah, it's me."

"What the heck are you doing in a rehab center?!"

"I've been smoking pot ever since I was maybe, thirteen I think."

"Why?"

"You know how my dad was killed in a fire? Like forever ago?"

"Yeah, I heard."

"It didn't hit me until three years after it happened. It hit me bad. Remember when I refused to even step into the firehouse?"

"Yeah I do."

"I hated it. I hated everyone and everything for a long time."

"No one blames you for that."

"I know, it's just that I looked up to my father."

"He's never going to be forgotten. He was a member of this family and no one will ever forget. That's like us at the district, we lost Roman a few months back. We're keeping it together, but it's hard. Clarice coming back is no help."

"I never liked her. She was always playing mind games with Shay."

"Trust me, she's not being welcomed with open arms at the district either."

"Why did she come back? She broke Shay's heart."

"Even worse, her and Shay are patrol partners. It's killing me to see her like this. Sean was her best friend and now, she has to deal with heartbreak all over again. This isn't fair to her."

"No, it's not."

"So, what are you in here for?"

"I'm a meth abuser."

"Damn."

"I was jabbing myself with needles at least three times a day."

"That stuff can kill you."

"I've overdosed twice already. It was a close call both times, but I was saved in time."

"I'm in here because Ben and our mother wouldn't shut up. They told me I was gonna ruin my life."

"I heard that more times than I wanted to. It's our life, so what do they care?"

"That's exactly what I said."

"I guess they just don't want to see us go down a bad road, is all. I can't think of any other reason."

"Ah, what do they know. They don't know what we're dealing with."

"The only read I started using drugs was because my mother moved away. You know the special victims unit Sergeant in Manhattan? Well, she's my grandmother. My mother moved out there for about three years. To me, that felt like she didn't care about me anymore. I was pissed, hurt, angry and god knows a ton more. I was sick of getting hurt, you know?"

"I get that. I felt the same way. Like I said, when the fact that my dad was dead had finally sunk in, I lost it. I couldn't control myself anymore."

They sat in silence for a few minutes, until she spoke up.

"You know...I used to have the biggest crush on you."

"Oh did you now?" He raised an eyebrow as he smirked.