Chapter 36 "Nothing Short of a Miracle"

Sylvie was sitting all alone at a table, not bothering with anyone since she arrived.

"Hey. What's got you so down?" Erin asked, sitting down next to her.

"I told Kelly I couldn't do it anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"I broke things off with him."

"What about Mari? What are you guys gonna do about her?"

"We're still gonna be her parents. We're just not a couple anymore."

"You two were so great together, though."

"It's not so much him, it's more me."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"Are you willing to listen to a sob story?"

"Tell me all about it."

"I guess you could say this all started early last year."

"Right around the time Sean passed away?"

"Yeah, about that time. You remember that accident that Kim and I got into a few years back?"

"Where the car flipped?"

"That's the one."

"The day after it happened, Sean proposed to me and I couldn't have been happier. We wanted to wait until things at work settled down a little before starting to plan. The morning of the day he died, I sat down with him and a wedding planner. It was all going to be so perfect. This was gonna be my day and I was gonna be the princess. Ever since I was little girl, I always wondered what it would be like. And then, everything was ripped away from me." She said, taking her locket in her hands.

"If there is anything, anything at all we can do for you, please let us know."

"I could really use a friend right now."

"I'm here and I always will be."

"Ember won't even talk to Mari. I tried telling her that her baby sister went to heaven, but she refuses to listen."

"She'll probably be like that for a while because she doesn't understand what happened. When she's older, she'll have a better grasp of it then."

"Leslie said she's gonna talk to her, but I don't know what good that will do. Whenever Ember sees me, she doesn't really go near me. She clings to her parents."

"She's little and a big daddy's girl."

"She hates me for what happened."

"She does not hate you, she's just upset."

"I wish there was a way, any way at all, that I could make it up to her."

"You adopted Mari."

"She refuses to talk to her."

"Eventually, she'll warm up to her. All little kids are like this. Remember when I found out that Justin and Sienna were my brother and sister? I didn't pitch a fit. I was angry for being lied to all those years, but I warmed up to the idea."

"You were an adult when you found out, though."

"That's not the point I'm trying to get across. I wouldn't talk to Justin or Sienna for weeks after I found out they were my biological siblings. This is normal."

Sylvie went to say something, but Erin shut her up.

"You are not gonna believe this."

"What?"