Chapter 35 "Life Lessons"

Kim was sitting at her desk, her eyes kept glancing over at a photo of her and Sean. When he died, she wanted to hide the photo from sight, so she would never have to look at it ever again.

"Hey girl. What's wrong?" Leslie asked when she noticed the somber expression on Kim's face.

"Oh nothing. I was just thinking about Roman again. I miss him."

"I do too. Clarice has become a royal pain in my ass. I would give anything to deal with Sean's constant whining about my driving again."

"He was my patrol partner before I moved up here. Remember the time we were held hostage?"

"Yeah."

"He told me to leave him behind and get the hell out of there, but I didn't listen. I told him he was coming with me, even if I had to drag his ass out. I wasn't going to leave him there to die."

"He didn't care for me too much when I started out. He was mad cause I was a 'rookie' but I told him to suck it up. He said he didn't want to end up falling in love with his partner again, so I told him I don't go for garden hoses."

They couldn't stop laughing when she realized what she had said.

"Did I really just say that out loud?"

"Yeah, you did." Kim said, still laughing.

"What's so funny?" Trudy asked, coming in from the tech room.

"Nothing."

They both shut up real quick.

"Yeah that's what I thought. Hey when you guys see Erin, tell her that this letter came for her. I don't know who it's from and I don't care." She said, dropping it on Kim's desk before disappearing again.

"Who's it from?"

"I don't know." She said, picking up the letter.

She examined it closely and it had some address on it that she couldn't make out. When looked at more closely, she could see "Jonah Halstead" on the sender's address.

Instead of looking at it, she left it on Erin's desk and continued what she had been doing before.

"So how do you feel about Brayden and Hannah starting middle school tomorrow?"

"Don't remind me. I feel old enough as it is."

"How does Adam feel about it?"

"Every time the kids remind him, he just tells them to shut up."

They both laughed.

"Ember starts kindergarten tomorrow."

"Already? Wow."

"I can't believe it either. My big girl grew up too fast."

"How does Kelly feel?"

"He said he's gonna be bawling like a baby tomorrow. We're definitely not ready."

"At least Ashley will be with her. They're in the same class, I think."

"That would be good."

She eyed the photo of when she was pregnant with the twins. "Can you believe how huge I was? Atwater kept telling me I had one too many donuts. Jerk."

They laughed again.

"I said what?"

They turned around to see that he had entered the room.

"NOTHING. Get back to work!"

"Well damn." He said, sarcastically

"Daddy!" A little boy's voice said.