Chapter 20 "Risking My Life for My Sister"

The next day was Sean's memorial service. Everyone lined up outside and saluted as orders were called out. Kim and Leslie stood next to Sylvie, Kelly behind them. Olivia and her detectives had flown in from New York to show their support. Erin turned around to see her mother and her detectives pulling up.

"Mom..." Erin whispered.

"I'm here." Olivia said, pulling her into a tight hug.

"Erin, we're here with our deepest condolences. We only wish we were here under better circumstances." Nick said, adjusting his uniform hat.

"If it wasn't for him, Otis and Kelly might be dead right now."

"He did a great thing."

"What I don't understand is why he ran in after we told him not to."

"He was trusting his gut."

"But that got him killed."

"Now is not the time."

They all turned around and stood in formation. His parents came out of the district, his mother holding a folded flag and his father carrying a box. Next came Camille, holding a photo of him, the American flag as a backdrop.

She went and stood by his engraving.

"Sean Roman, was one of the best cops this district has ever seen. He was never afraid to step out of his comfort zone, he was never the type to hold back. To him, this wasn't just a job, this was his passion, his life, his everything. He was a great patrolman and an even greater friend. He will be dearly missed."

Everyone stood in position for a moment of silence. All that could be heard was the sound of crying, shortness of breath and sniffling.

Kim stepped up. "I was so thankful to that man for saving my life. Eleven years ago, he and I were taken hostage by a gang. It was his quick thinking that saved our lives. He was a great partner."

The rest of that morning was filled with sorrow. Leslie had disappeared, so Kim went looking for her. She checked the bridge and all the other spots they usually hung out together, but no luck. She headed down to the locker room and found her sitting on the bench crying. She went down and sat next to her.

"Hey, you okay?"

"Not really."

"Want to tell me what's wrong?"

"I can't just can't over it and drop it like he never existed. Only three months have passed and they already drop a new partner on me. She broke my heart and then got together with a man. I promised that her and I would raise Wesley together. Then she just up and leaves. I fall in love with all the wrong women. I'm just sick of getting my heart broken!"

"If you have a problem with Clarice, then tell Platt."

"I don't want to get my head chopped off."

She laughed. "Platt is not gonna chop your head off. You have to explain the situation to her."

"That woman hasn't been nice to me since the day she met me."

"If you want me to be with you when you talk to her, I can."

"What makes you think she'll go easy on me if you're with me?"

"She's been an angel to me ever since I had kids. She's adored those kids since they were born. She loves Ember too."

"I'm not so sure about that one."

"Before any of us here had kids, she was the spawn of satan."

"I remember when you found out you were pregnant with twins. Her face was priceless."

"She couldn't speak for like a month."

They both laughed.

"Ambulance sixty one, squad three, truck eighty one, battalion twenty five, structure fire, ten twenty South Emerald."

Everyone jumped up and headed as fast as they could to the address.

"That's Mackenzie's best friend's house!" Rae yelled, hoping off the truck and putting her helmet on.

"Wasn't she visiting her friend today?" Peter asked.

"I'm think she was."

"HELP!" A voice yelled from the second floor.

They all looked up and saw a girl in the window. Otis put his hand over his forehead so he could see.

"It's Kenzie!" He yelled.

"We have to get a ladder up there!" Matt yelled back.

"It's not safe!" Kelly pushed him back.

"That's my daughter!"

"We can find an alternative route to get to her, but this way is not safe."

Matt was relieved. Rae looked all around, threw her radio off and ran inside.

"Raelyn! Get your ass back out here right now!" Peter screamed.

"Peter, don't do it."

"Our daughter just ran into a burning building! You see what's on the ground there?! That's her radio!"

"She knows what she doing."

"Fire department, call out!" Rae hollered as she searched each room. She heard screams coming from behind her, which was the first room on that floor. She busted the door down with an axe.

"Mackenzie! Are you in here?!"

She searched the floor and found a girl laying there, unmoving.

"Mackenzie!"

"Who are you?"

"We need to get out of here, this building is gonna go in a minute. Come on."

She ran to the window and yelled for a ladder. A backboard was brought up. The fire managed to seep through the door and invade the bedroom.

"Where is she?!" Gabby yelled.

Rae jumped through the window and landed on the ladder, stomach first. Her face was covered in smoke and she lost consciousness.