Chapter 39 "Surprise"

She went to back up, but he pinned her against the wall.

"What do you want, Charlie?"

"You and pretty boy out there dead."

"We didn't do anything to you. So back the hell off!"

He aimed the gun at her. "Oh yes you did. You guys put me in jail."

"You deserved that for what you did!"

"Do tell what I did."

"YOU BOMBED OUR CHILDREN'S SCHOOL! You could've killed them and a ton of others! You know how wrong that was?!"

"Do you think I care?"

"You really are an asshole, you know that right?"

"They need to learn to stop taking what's not theirs."

"Are you still pissed over the whole school thing? That was six years ago. Let it go and move on. You won't get anywhere in life by acting like this. Show some compassion for once in your miserable life."

"I'm not the one who's gonna have the miserable life." He said, readying the trigger.

"Please...don't..."

"What did I tell you about shooting the hostages?" Aubrey said, coming up behind Charlie.

"I thought you-"

"Yeah, I don't wanna go back to jail. We're not gonna kill them, we're just gonna torture them. That is, until they call 'the squad' to come save them. Put the damn gun away or I'll turn you in."

Charlie put the safety on and threw it on the ground.

"You're supposed to scare them, not kill them you idiot."

"So you're not gonna shoot us or anything?"

"We could still shoot you, but not enough to kill you. Maybe put you in a cast or something."

"Can I at least go out there and help my husband? He's badly injured and could die."

"Fine, you can help him, but no funny business."

"I promise, no funny business. We will stay in your view, alright?"

"Good. Now get out of here while Charlie and I have a talk."

She ran out of the room and over to Adam, who was barely conscious on the floor.

"Hey, wake up." She said, lightly smacking his face. "Aubrey has us. We've been stuck here since this morning. He bashed you with a crowbar and beat me with it."

"Are you okay?" He asked, placing a hand on her cheek.

She weakly half smiled and grabbed his hand. "Yes, I'm fine. You're the one I'm worried about."

"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine."

"You're just saying that to make me feel better."

"I don't want you to worry."

She dug through the empty boxes, in hopes of finding some sort of cloth material.

"HEY HEY HEY, I said no funny business!" Aubrey hollered.

"I'm not looking for a weapon. I'm just looking for a piece of cloth to stop the bleeding."

"There's a box of cloth scraps over there. Take a piece out and go sit right by him. I'm keeping my eye on you two."

"You know, I'd be more apt to listen to what you're saying, if only you used 'please'"

"I don't have to."