32 | Bad Memories

"Stefan, komm her. (Stefan, come here.)" I looked up from my coloring book to my Oma, she had a soft smile on her face as she held a hand out towards me. I couldn't help the wide smile that spread across my face as I slipped my much smaller hand into hers, but as soon as I did the entire house was in flames.

Her grip on my hand tightened as I frantically looked around the burning house, pulling against the hand that roughly tugged me away. "Süße.. (Sweetie..)" my struggling came to an immediate stop as a soft voice made its way to my ears.

I kept my gaze to the ground, my hands shaking as I felt a soft hand start to caress my cheek before making its way to my chin and softly pulling my face to face theirs. I couldn't help the gasp that escaped me at the pale face that stared back at me, "Mama..?" my voice was squeaker than usual, higher in pitch too.

She held a sad smile as she continued to caress my face, her vibrant purple eyes holding a distant look as she had to almost forced her gaze to stay connected to mine. She had sweat glistening down her entire face, the edges of her long brown hair forced flat against her forehead as they became drenched in the slimy bodily fluid.

"Süße.. du musst mit deiner Oma gehen. (Sweetie.. you need to go with your grandma.)" her voice stayed soft despite also sounding panicked but I couldn't reply, I was in shock. I hadn't seen her in so long, it had been years since she had blessed my dreams and though this seemed to be one of the worst I still couldn't help but want to relish in the moment, leaning into the comforting warmth of her hand.

"Stefan, hör zu. Du wirst mit Oma gehen, okay? (Stefan, listen. You're going to go with grandma, okay?)" My head immediately shook in a 'no' motion, my tiny hands coming to grip at her wrist. The lining of my eyes started to well with water, my vision became hazy but I couldn't tell if that was a result of the situation or the smoke that seemed to be getting more intense.

"Schatz- (Honey-)" I watched as my mothers face contorted into a look of pure agony, cutting herself off with a groan as her other hand came up to rub at her swollen belly and suddenly.. it was all I could look at, "Schwester wird es gut gehen. (Sister will be okay.)" I looked up to see her looking at me with what was supposed to be a reassuring smile, quickly falling when I violently shook my head in reply.

I opened my mouth to argue when gunshots sounded, suddenly the door was being kicked open. I looked up wide eyed, coming into contact with a tall male. He frantically searched the room before his eyes landed on us and his face seemed to grow significantly more pale.

"Was machst du hier noch? (What're you still doing here?)" he questioned, hurriedly rushing to my mother's side. His dark brown hair pushed back by sweat and what looked like blood, the red liquid ran down from his head and over his eye that was swollen shut. I could hear my mother gasp as he came closer, taking in his appearance with wide glossy eyes. "Hannah, was machst du hier noch?! (Hannah, what're you still doing here?!)" His voice was harsh, causing my mother to flinch at the sudden volume being used.

"Papa..?" For the first time since he entered the burning house his gaze met mine, his one good eye staring at me with what I could only describe as fear. He quickly made his way closer to us, swiftly kneeling down in front of me and placing a soft kiss on the top of my head, not at all bothered by the sweat.

He held both his hands on the side of my face, his breathing shaky as he glanced at my mother before moving one of his hands to hers. They held each other's gaze as she slowly moved his hand to her belly, causing him to snap his gaze from hers to their hands before looking back to her. Her lips twitched up into a sad smile as they kept their hands on top of her belly, nodding her head with furrowed brows, causing my father to take in a shaky breath.