4

HERO

Mercy steps into the hotel ballroom with a smile. She stumbles over her too high heels. Catches herself. Smooths her sleek dress.

It's the kind of thing Josephine would wear.

My little sister is trying to prove something in that look what an adult I am getup, but I'm not sure who she's trying to prove it to.

Mercy's gaze shifts around the hotel ballroom. The hot pink streamers.

The Congratulations Jeremiah and Katherine banner. The speakers pumping peppy pop music into the room. A group of Katherine's college friends.

Katherine herself.

Even with three dozen people here, Katherine stands out. She's always been the life of the party. Tall. Brown hair in retro waves. Snug dress hugging her curvy frame.

No attempt at hiding her surprise.

She's the same as she always was.

Right after Josephine left, I went to Katherine and begged for an explanation.

But she never caved. She only told me that Josephine was alive and that she was no longer in Orange County.

She looked at me like I was pathetic.

I was.

For a long time, I was obsessed with finding my ex. I looked everywhere. I let it consume me.

Until it took all of me.

Somehow, I accepted that Josephine was gone and she wasn't coming back.

Or I thought I did.

Right now, knowing she's in the room—

I can feel the change in the energy.

The air is sharper. Sweeter. More electric.

Mercy nudges me and points to Katherine. Let's go.

Katherine forces a poker face even though her expression screams why the fuck are you here?

Her fiancé, Jeremiah, a tall guy with a boyish smile and dark skin, follows her stare. He waves an enthusiastic hello and motions come here.

"Do you see her?" Mercy raises her voice to compete with the music.

"You'll know when I see her."

She laughs. "True."

I lead my sister through the crowd.

Katherine forces a smile. "Hero. It's uh... a surprise."

"Haven't seen you in forever, man." Jeremiah holds up his hand for a high-five. "How you been?"

I high-five him back. "Busy. Med school."

"Shit. Always knew you'd land somewhere big and important." He smiles that natural, easy smile of his.

"He's top of his class." Mercy extends her hand. "I don't think we've met.

I'm Mercy." She shakes Jeremiah's hand. "Hero's sister."

"You look pretty. Grown-up." Katherine brushes her short hair behind her ear. "Does Josephine know you're here?"

"No." Mercy jumps in. "We just got here. Thanks for the invite by the way. It's so romantic. A sudden wedding." She presses her hands together.

"I can't wait until it's me."

"Wait awhile." Katherine laughs.

"Hey, what's that mean?" Jeremiah swats her playfully.