34-P A S T

【HERO】

"Is this really necessary?" Josephine tugs at the blindfold covering her eyes.

"Yeah." I turn left. Into the neighborhood. This is a huge surprise. A massive decision. It's good for us, but I'm not sure she's going to be happy about me pulling the trigger on my own.

"Is it..." She clears her throat. "Am I going to open my eyes and see leather straps and handcuffs?"

"Is that what you want?" I tease.

Her cheeks flush. "No, I just... you borrowed this from Grayson, didn't you?"

"Maybe."

"Oh my God. Has he used it?"

"It's a blindfold."

"Still."

"You think bodily fluids made it all the way—"

"What if he's into facials?"

My chuckle is hearty. Deep. Josephine Langford, pretentious art student, feminist badass, girlfriend of the year, is talking about facials.

"Oh my God. He is. I'm taking it off."

I reach over and grab her wrist before she can. "It's new."

"Oh."

"But nice try."

"I would never."

"Uh-huh."

"You could give me a hint."

"It's not a bondage club."

"Damn."

"Disappointing, I know."

"Seriously." Her smile spreads over her cheeks. She presses her palms into her thighs. Sinks her fingers into the fabric of her dark jeans.

"You're evil."

"Thank you."

She presses her knees together. Squirms in her seat.

I'm used to that reaction, but it's usually because she's desperate to fuck me.

Right now, her anticipation is tuned to my surprise.

She's as antsy as I've ever seen her.

"Just a little tiny hint." She holds up her thumb and forefinger. "The smallest hint in the history of the world."

This is the perfect opportunity to tease her. "Hole."

"What?"

"Your favorite band."

"I know, but..." Her brow scrunches in confusion. "Hole?"

"Yeah."

"Are we going to a show?" She claps her hands together. "Oh my God.

But they've been broken up for years. So maybe it's Garbage. Are we going to see Garbage? Oh my God, Hero, I'm not dressed for a concert."

"You look good."

She shakes her head. Tugs at the grey cardigan draped over her white tank top.

All winter, she lives that cardigan.

Sometimes, she pairs one of her ripped up band t-shirts with her black hoodie.

But she's always wearing jeans and some sort of cotton shirt.

This one is especially inviting.

It barely covers her bra—this soft pink thing that begs for my hands.