37-PRESENT

【HERO】

Josephine never quite comes back to me.

She helps me fix dinner. She gushes over the spaghetti and veggie sauce. She settles into the couch and rallies for a viewing of the The Princess Bride.

But even as she rests her head on my shoulder and intertwines her fingers with mine, she stays far away.

We're halfway through the movie when Zack's car pulls into the driveway.

He pushes the front door open with a loud laugh.

Mercy's gasp drowns out the movie.

"I told you." He kicks the door closed. Clicks the lock. Tosses his keys on the kitchen counter.

"And I told you I don't want to hear those details." Mercy turns to the couch. To us. "Oooh, The Princess Bride is one of my favorites. You mind if I watch the rest with you?"

"No." Josephine's lips press together. "We're almost done."

The heroes are about to storm the castle. The movie is nearly finished.

Josephine has always been accommodating with Mercy.

But still...

Nobody interrupts The Princess Bride and lives to get away with it. Not on Josephine's watch.

There's something off here.

"Nah, Mercy. Let's get ice cream or something," Zack suggests.

I shoot him a really look.

His usual M.O. is interrupt and delay. He takes delight in fucking with me.

Normalcy from Zack is weird.

Alarming.

"It's midnight," Mercy says.

"Boba then," Zack offers.

Mercy sticks her tongue out in distaste. She hates the fat tapioca balls.

"Why don't you drink straight corn syrup?"

"Oh yeah? How many pieces of cake did you have?" he asks.

"No comment." She turns to Josephine. "You can say if you want us out of your hair."

"No." Josephine forces a smile. "Not like that."

"Damn. Low blow, Langford," Zack teases.

"Actually. It's more that I'm... spent." Her cheeks flush. Her eyes meet mine. They ask for something, but I don't have a fucking clue what it is.

Mercy clears her throat. "Maybe I'll play Celebrity Skin loudly. Whatever you do upstairs is... your business." She kicks off her heels then pushes herself up. She looks grown-up in that sleek royal blue dress. Like an actual adult and not the kid who desperately needs my protection.

"No. Finish the movie." Josephine stands and adjusts her t-shirt. "I'll watch the rest in the morning. I'm wiped."

"Play it loudly," Zack suggests.

Josephine flips him off.

Mercy laughs. "Good night."

Josephine looks back to me. "If you're not tired—"

"I'll be there in a minute," I say.

She nods, but there's no relief in her eyes. She's not looking for closeness. She's hiding from it.

From whatever it is she can't admit.

She moves up the stairs with soft steps.

It doesn't feel like I'm watching her walk to my bedroom.