38

【HERO】

Josephine steps into the hallway. She stretches her arms over her head.

Lets out a soft yawn.

Morning light floods the room. It's soft and white. A classic beach morning.

Fuck, she looks positively angelic.

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but it's all I can see. With the sun bouncing off her light hair and her white t-shirt, she's every bit the angel.

My sister is sitting at the kitchen counter, sipping a too sweet chai, staring with her jaw open.

It's hard to blame her.

It's hard to believe any of this is real.

That I'm not actually dreaming.

"Good morning." Josephine's lips curl into a shy smile.

Mercy's eyes go wide. "You two are really—"

"Could you not?" I ask.

"No." Mercy takes another sip of her tea. "I really couldn't."

"What is this?" Josephine motions to the pan on the burner.

"Pancakes," I say.

"You're making me pancakes?" she asks.

I nod.

She turns to Mercy. "You help him?"

"God no. I can barely make grilled cheese." She motions to the mug of tea next to hers. "Almond milk chai."

"Such hospitality." Josephine wraps her fingers around the mug. Leans in to inhale its sweet, earthy scent. "Is there anything better than cardamom, cinnamon, and ginger?" She takes a sip and lets out a soft sigh. "Mercy, I have to be honest with you."

"Yeah?" My sister's eyes stay dreamy. It's sweet how much she's rooting for us. Even if it's mostly because she wants Josephine around.

"You should get used to this—" she takes another sip. Moans a little louder. "If you're going to hang with us."

Mercy laughs. "You wouldn't..."

"Usually, yeah." Josephine sets her mug on the counter and wraps her arms around my waist. "But my flight leaves tonight." She presses her lips to my shoulder.

Fuck, it warms me everywhere.

But I don't miss the mention of her exit.

She's flying back to Seattle tonight.

She has an entire life there. It would be easy for her to disappear into it.

To forget the last few days ever happened.

"Are those really blueberry pancakes?" Josephine drags hers lips up my neck.

I nod.

"Mmm." She squeezes me tighter. "You're too good to me."

"I can see how this might be a problem." Mercy slips off the counter.

"How about a deal?"

"I'm listening," I say.

"You bring my pancakes to my room. Then, tonight, Jo comes to dinner. You both come to dinner," she offers.

"I don't know, Mercy. I think my mom expects me to hang with her tonight," Josephine says.

"Not sure I can allow that," I say.

"I was going to invite you."

"Oh yeah?"