5

HERO

"So." She motions to the glowing aqua pool. Pulls her dress up her thighs. "I will if you will."

She won't. She's bluffing. But I'm not letting her get away with that.

"You go first."

"I'll do it."

I motion go ahead.

Her lips curl into a coy smile. She bends to undo the straps of her heels then steps out of her shoes.

Her eyes meet mine as her feet sink into the concrete.

She takes another step toward the pool.

Another.

Slowly, she drops to her knees, swings her legs in front of her, dips her toes in the pool.

"Chicken," I tease.

She winces as she slips her calves into the water. "I see a lot of clothes for someone who talks such big talk."

"There's a reason for that."

"Oh?" She drags her legs back and forth, sending tiny waves across the surface of the pool.

"I'm too irresistible."

Her smile spreads over her lips. There's no pretense in it. No shield. No this is too fucking weird to handle.

It's like nothing changed.

Like she never left.

"You're too irresistible?" She stares back with incredulity. "That's your line?"

I tug at my t-shirt. "If I take this off, you'll be all over me."

"I can handle it."

"You sure?" I tug my t-shirt up my stomach.

Her gaze goes straight to my bare skin.

Her pupils dilate.

Her tongue slides over her lips.

She clears her throat. Smooths her dress. Tries and fails to hide the desire in her voice. "Absolutely."

"History isn't on your side." I kick off my shoes. Peel off my socks. The cold of the concrete seeps into my feet and up my spine.

"That was a long time ago."

I bend over to roll my jeans to my knees.

"And, you know..."

I take a seat on the wall kitty-corner to hers.

"We were already sleeping together."

"Ah."

"Ah? You can't ah me, Fiennes Tiffin. I'm the one who dishes out the amazing insights."

"Since when?"

"There's a lack of insight where I am. Trust me."

I do. That's the ridiculous thing. My heart is fucking stupid. It's already apathetic to the devastation she wrecked. "Let me test you."

She kicks the surface of the water, sending drops in every direction. "Go for it."

The water is seventy-eight degrees. It's warmer than the air. But it feels a hell of a lot colder. "How'd this wedding come together?"

"They were at the beach, celebrating her last final, and he dropped to his knees, took her hand, and said babe, this is crazy, but I don't care. I want this to be forever. Will you marry me? He didn't have an engagement ring, so he found a rubber band in his pocket and wrapped it around her finger."