Part 6

The sight of the noble medal hanging above the article titled 'The last elephant keeper' only intensified her feelings. It reminded her of her mother's devotion to the elephants and her work at the zoo. She remembered how her mother used to immerse herself in her research, often neglecting their relationship in the process.

Looking back at the book on the table, Khumo felt a mix of anger and longing. It represented the broken bond between them, a physical representation of their unspoken words and unrevealed emotions.

Khumo's mind drifted back to her childhood, recalling the times she sat at her mother's feet, watching her mother meticulously sketch and write in her notebook. Although she could never understand the complex symbols and abbreviations, she admired the beautiful illustrations that accompanied the cryptic notes. Those illustrations were like windows into her mother's world, where animals came alive in vivid detail, especially of those of the elephants her mother deeply admired.

The memories brought a mix of nostalgia and sorrow. She wished she had understood her mother better, that she had been more patient and supportive, but her mother's mental health had taken a downturn, and the scrambled notebook had been a further reminder of that.

Khumo stood by the window, clutching the weathered book in her hands, determined to immortalize her mother's memory through its pages. Her heart felt heavy as she glanced at the bulky suitcase she had planned to take on her journey, but now decided to leave behind. She opted for a trimmed-down bag instead, ready to embark on a quest that she hoped would reconnect her with her mother's legacy.

Just as she turned to leave, a note slipped from the pages and gently fell to the floor. Khumo's hands trembled as she picked it up, her eyes scanning the familiar handwriting. The words she read etched a mix of sorrow and longing into her soul.

"My dear Khumo,

I'm sorry to leave you this way. I've been hiding a secret from you, one that has taken its toll on me. I didn't want to hurt you or ruin your joy. You have achieved so much, and I am so proud of you. You are my everything, and I love you more than words can say. This note is my last gift to you, to lead you to the elephants. You always asked me where they had gone, and I always promised to show you a home made for them. I found a sanctuary were I know they could belong. I know that the world has changed so much, and finding them will be hard, but they are still alive. Please save them. Look for the valley between the three hills, ten kilometers north of this house. Take the book, it will help you."

Every word on the page echoed the essence of her mother's restless spirit, the unyielding determination to save an already extinct species and the countless others that had long perished. It was a part of her mother that Khumo had tried to forget, a burden she never wanted to bear, yet now it was all laid bare before her.

Unable to hold back her emotions, Khumo's heart pounded in her chest, the weight of her mother's words pressing heavily on her soul. In an act of frustration and anguish, she grabbed the book and hurled it out the window. It soared through the air like a desperate plea, as if trying to escape the harsh reality she now faced.

Khumo turned away, refusing to indulge in her mother's fantasies. The painful truth was evident - everything her mother had fought for was long gone. There were no plants, birds, or insects left, and certainly no massive gray ass stomping about the desert.

The harsh reality of the desolate landscape outside mirrored the emptiness she felt inside. She couldn't bear to immerse herself in her mother's dreams, knowing they were nothing more than illusions now. As she gazed out the window, she acknowledged that there was no point in chasing after something that no longer existed.