Part 44

Khumo felt a dull ache in her heart as she closed her eyes, trying to forget the horrors of the day. The gentle snoring of the elephants around her was a soothing reminder that she was not alone, that she still had a family to protect and care for. She wished she could share their peaceful slumber, but her mind was restless.

She replayed the scene of the corpse repeatedly, wondering who it was, how they died, and what it meant for her and her herd. She sensed that something was wrong with the world, that a dark force was creeping in, threatening to destroy everything she loved.

She listened to the rain outside, hoping that it would wash away her fears and doubts, but it only made them louder. She felt trapped in a cage of anxiety, unable to escape.

She imagines a new world, a world where she is an explorer, a pioneer, a rebel. A world where she defies the odds and preserves a way of life that is fading away, as bodies pile up and decay. A world where she faces new challenges and dangers every day, as strange storm that engulfs the world and her along with it.

She lives within the storm, a living, breathing, pulsing entity that surrounds her and her herd. She does not know what it is, where it came from, or what it wants. She only knows that it is there, and that it changes everything.

It changes the landscape, the weather, the animals, the plants. It changes her. She feels its presence in her veins, in her bones, in her mind. Within the storm she finally has a chance to control the decay that she had been so unable to effect earlier, and with that power reinvents Africa in her image.

Khumo opened her eyes, feeling a surge of energy and optimism. Her mind had processed the magnitude of her journey during her sleep, and she felt ready to face the day ahead. She crawled out of her makeshift bed and stretched her limbs, inhaling the fresh morning air. The storm that had raged the night before had cleared, leaving behind a soggy and muddy terrain.

She knew that this would make their travel more difficult, but she was not discouraged. She had a goal to reach, and she would not let anything stop her. Khumo began her morning routine, starting with checking on the elephants to see how they fared the storm. They were all snuggled together, still in slumber, but they looked healthy and safe. She smiled, feeling a wave of affection and gratitude for her loyal companions.

She then headed to the nearby pool of heated rainwater that she had heated with a detached kettle heating element. She dipped into the warm water, washing away the dirt and sweat from her body. She savoured the moment of comfort and relaxation, knowing that it was a precious gift in the midst of their arduous expedition.

The storm had passed, and Khumo ventured out to assess the impact. She gasped, stunned by what she saw. The lightning had struck the glass towers that rose from the sand, shattering them into shards and fragments. The soil had turned a sickly yellow colour, stained by the acidic rain. The elephants followed her out of the cave, more concerned with finding some food than with the altered landscape.

Khumo knew they had to leave soon, so she hurried back into the cave to pack her belongings and grab a bite. She was aware that they had fallen behind schedule because of the storm, and she wanted to catch up as much as possible.

Khumo felt a mix of emotions as she prepared to leave. She felt sad to leave the cave that had been their shelter and refuge for the past few days. She felt anxious about what lay ahead, what dangers and difficulties they would encounter. She felt curious about the new world that she uncovered during the storm, what secrets and mysteries it held.

The team resumed their journey, wading through the soggy and muddy terrain. The storm had turned the land into a swamp, and Khumo could see that the elephants were having a hard time with some parts of the trail she had mapped out, that had become deep pools of water. They had to pause often to catch their breath, and Khumo used this opportunity to check on her navigation tools, which had been partially damaged during the storm.

She hoped that they were still on the right path, and that they would not get lost. The breaks also gave Khumo a chance to observe the extent of the storm's impact, and how drastically it had transformed the environment. She felt a surge of awe and fear, wondering how they would cope with the challenges they were facing.

As the day wore on, the team made slow progress. The terrain was difficult, with the strange soil feeling like quicksand and hampering any significant progress. The rain had also made the ground slippery and dangerous, causing the elephants to tread carefully and slowing their pace even further. Khumo could feel her frustration mounting as she struggled to make any headway. She knew they needed to cover more ground if they wanted to reach the oasis in time, but circumstances were against them.

The elephants were also feeling the strain of the journey. Their muscles ached from the strenuous effort of navigating through the treacherous terrain, and they were growing tired from the lack of restful sleep. Khumo tried to encourage them as best she could, but even her normally optimistic spirit was being tested by their arduous journey through what was marsh.

Despite the obstacles, the team persevered. Khumo tried to focus on the small victories: a particularly steep slope navigated successfully, or a particularly thick patch of mud crossed without incident. The elephants too seemed to take heart in these small accomplishments, their trumpets sounding with a bit more vigour and determination each time they overcame an obstacle.

Khumo watched as Flash sprayed the water from the ground, creating a small rainbow that brought a smile to her face. She knew that despite the difficulties they had faced so far on their expedition, they were lucky to have such a lively and curious elephant like Flash with them.

Khumo looked back at the storm that still roared behind them, and that had almost claimed their lives. She wondered if anything had managed to survive its onslaught, or if they were the last ones here - the last ones for thousands of kilometres. The frequent stops and the silent journey, as the elephants had no energy or mood to trumpet, had given Khumo some time to reflect on the journey so far.

She thought about the four people she had met, and how rare and unexpected that situation had been on a continent that had less than a thousand inhabitants. She felt a twinge of loneliness and despair, realizing how isolated and vulnerable they were in this hostile and changing world.