Part 39

As Khumo caught her breath, she looked back down into the chasm around and noticed that the ethereal creatures had disappeared. She wondered if they had been real or simply a figment of her imagination, but the memory of their graceful movements and mysterious presence lingered in her mind.

Flash let out a loud trumpet, as if to celebrate his brave deed, as Khumo felt a surge of gratitude for his quick action. She stroked his trunk and murmured words of appreciation and praise to him. As they made their way back to the other elephants, Khumo felt a nagging sense of dread that hung over her. The eerie creatures, the deep chasm, and the thunderstorm outside all seemed to be linked in some way that she couldn't fathom. It was as if the land here was alive, and it was trying to get rid of its most unwelcome visitor.

Khumo wondered if the land had a reason to hate her and her kind. She knew that humans had done terrible things to the earth, destroying its beauty and balance. She knew that humans had hunted and killed many of the animals that lived here, including the elephants. She knew that humans had brought war and disease and pollution to this once peaceful place, but she was brought her to make some amends, and she wondered if she could ever belong in a place kicking out everyone.

Khumo and Flash rejoined the other elephants, who were in a state of panic and distress. The thunderstorm showed no signs of stopping, and the lightning bolts were striking closer and louder than ever. The other elephants were crowded together, their huge bodies trembling with terror and nervousness. Whisper was the most frantic of them all, and she was trumpeting and stomping her feet. Hope was doing his best to soothe her, wrapping his trunk around her and whispering words of reassurance. Thunder, who was usually the leader and the voice of reason, was restless and uneasy.

He was walking back and forth, his ears pressed against his head and his eyes darting around. Blaze was curled up on her side, her eyes squeezed shut as if she wanted to escape from the reality. Even Flash, who was normally brave and adventurous, seemed anxious and edgy. He stayed close to Khumo, as if seeking her protection across the labyrinth of caves leading back to the cavern. The storm had not had resided, almost intensifying as it struck down.

Khumo knew that she needed to calm them down before the panic got out of control. She approached the group slowly, making sure to avoid any sudden movements that might startle them as she returned with Flash. She spoke in a soothing voice, reassuring them that they were safe in the cave and that the storm would pass eventually.

She resumed her humming, as she led Flash back to his wounded mother who laid rested on the ground. Her humming had sent soothing vibrations through their bodies, as Khumo intermittently broke her humming to tell them some stories of her mother and the adventures they had together, and also stories of her time as peacekeeper, the shopkeepers and people she watched over who slowly begun to rebuild their lives.

She told them that they were strong and brave, and that they would make it through this one too. Gradually, the herd began to calm down. The loud trumpeting and roaring subsided to a soft rumble, and the elephants cuddled together for warmth and comfort.

As the day slowly wore on, the storm finally began to abate. The lightning strikes became less frequent, and the thunder rumbled in the distance. The elephants began to drift off to sleep after such intense weather, and Khumo felt a deep sense of satisfaction at having managed to calm them all, and to have survived incident from earlier in the day. She had protected the herd from the storm, and they had all come through it safely.

She studied the metallic firefly with fascination. It was unlike any creature she had ever seen before. Its body was covered with a shiny metal that reflected the light. Its wings made a buzzing sound that resembled electricity. Its eyes glowed with a bright green light that seemed to pierce through the darkness. It behaved strangely too, flying around in erratic patterns and landing on different surfaces.