Part 58

On the horizon, dark rolling clouds gathered, casting an ominous shadow over the scene. The contrast of the dark clouds against the bright rocks created a breathtakingly beautiful view. The wind picked up, carrying the scent of rain and earth towards the men, and they could hear the distant rumble of thunder echoing through the pass, and again Abel reassured the man.

The colours of the landscape are vibrant and varied, with rich shades of rust and burnt orange mingling with deep purples and blues. The sky above is filled with dark, rolling clouds that threaten to unleash a storm at any moment. Despite the ominous clouds above, the landscape below seems to glow with an otherworldly light.

The sun, hidden behind the clouds, casts a soft, diffused light across the landscape, illuminating the rocks and hills in a way that seems almost ethereal. The men are filled with a sense of awe and wonder at the beauty that surrounds them, and for a moment, they forget their mission and simply soak in the majesty of the natural world.

At last, they reached a rocky outcropping that offered a clear view of the valley below. Abel signalled for his men to take up positions, and they spread out, crouching behind rocks and shrubs, their guns at the ready. Dave and Pete watched nervously as Abel peered through his binoculars, scanning the valley for any sign of Khumo and her elephants.

The anticipation among the group was palpable as they waited for any sign of movement. The tension was so thick that it felt like it could be cut with a knife. The men were acutely aware of the danger they were in, and the importance of their mission. If they failed to catch Khumo, the ivory poachers would continue to wreak havoc on the elephants in the area.

Abel gestured for them to stop and rest. He crouched behind a large boulder and signalled for Pete and Dave to do the same. They peered down the slope, scanning the area for any sign of Khumo and her elephants.

Abel pulled out his binoculars and scanned the valley below. Finally, Abel let out a low whistle, and the men tensed up, ready for action. Abel motioned for them to move forward, and they crept forward, taking care to remain hidden from view. As they moved closer to the elephants, they could see Khumo in the distance. The tension grew even more intense as they prepared to confront the poachers.

"They're heading straight towards us," Abel whispered, excitement and anticipation in his voice.

Pete and Dave exchanged a look of uncertainty, but they trusted Abel and his plan. They followed his lead, moving into position behind a cluster of rocks, their guns at the ready. Abel sat down on a large boulder in the foreground, taking in the ominous view of the approaching storm.

With a determined look on his face, he turned to his companions and began to discuss his plan of attack. He took a deep breath, feeling the cold air fill his lungs, and finally turning to face Pete and Dave.

"Alright, boys," he began, "here's the plan. We're going to use this uphill advantage to our advantage. We need to set up a perimeter around this area and wait for Khumo to come to us."

Dave nodded in agreement, but Pete looked sceptical. "And how exactly are we gonna do that?" he asked.

Abel's eyes flashed with a fierce determination as he turned to Pete and Dave. "We need to split up and set up two different ambush positions on either side of the narrow mountain pass," he said firmly. "We'll wait for Khumo and the elephants to approach, and then we'll open fire simultaneously from both sides, catching them in a deadly crossfire."

Pete and Dave openly wondered if they had enough ammunition to take down the elephants. They exchanged glances, and Pete said, "We might be a bit short on bullets, boss. It's gonna take more than a few shots to bring down those beasts."

Abel quickly outlined his plan, his voice low and urgent. "We need to move quickly and quietly," he said. "We can't afford to be seen or heard. Once we're in position, we wait for Khumo to approach. When we have a clear shot, we open fire. We need to take them down fast, before they have a chance to retaliate."

Dave nodded in agreement, "And what about Khumo? Are we really going to kill her?"

Abel's face contorted into a frown. "What's wrong with you two? We're here to do a job. We've come all this way, and now you're getting cold feet? We've got to take down those elephants and bring that girl down. There's no other way."

Pete raised his hands in defence, "Hey, calm down boss. We're just concerned is all."

But Abel was in no mood to listen. "Concerned? We don't have the luxury of being concerned. We have to be ready to do whatever it takes to get the job done. This is what we're here for. This is why we're risking our lives."

Pete and Dave exchanged a glance, but remained silent. They knew there was no point in arguing with Abel when he was like this.

Abel's eyes flickered with a calculating glint as he assessed the situation. He could see that his men were growing weary and doubtful, and he knew that he needed to take action to reignite their resolve.

With a sly smile, Abel stepped forward and raised his hands in surrender. "You know what, guys?" he said, his voice dripping with false sincerity. "I think you might be right. Maybe Khumo isn't our main target after all. Maybe we should focus on the bigger picture here."

Pete and Dave looked at Abel suspiciously, but they couldn't deny the allure of his words. Pete and Dave look at each other with surprise, relieved that Abel has come to his senses. "What do you suggest then?" asks Dave. As he spoke, Abel could see the doubt and hesitation melting away from his men's faces.