Part 9

Summoning all her courage, Khumo made a desperate scramble for safety, her hands searching for purchase on one of the many jagged rocks around the valley. As her fingers gripped onto the rough surface, she hoisted herself up, her breaths coming in ragged gasps.

Perched atop the rock, and making her way uphill, Khumo felt both relief and humility. The realization that she had underestimated the danger she had unknowingly walked into humbled her. But amidst the fear and uncertainty, a spark of admiration for the elephants' majestic power and fierce protectiveness ignited within her.

From the elevated vantage point, Khumo witnessed the elephants' aggressive behavior with new clarity. The once serene watering hole, nestled among the rocks, was now a shadow of its former self, its waters dwindling to a mere puddle. The moss that had once adorned the rocks was sparse, revealing the harshness of the arid environment.

The elephants' agitation was palpable. Their massive forms moved restlessly, their trumpeting calls echoing through the valley. Khumo's heart sank as she realized the reason for their aggression—their very survival was at stake. With each passing moment, the oasis that had sustained them was withering away, leaving them with scarce resources for sustenance. They would die if they remained.

From a distance, Khumo's gaze fixed on the elephants, their majestic forms commanding her attention. Yet, beyond them, the sight of the train station beckoned—a symbol of the world she once knew, the world she longed to return to. The choice before her was a daunting one, and her heart wrestled with conflicting emotions.

Balancing her own needs with her mother's sacred obligations felt like an insurmountable task. How could she possibly manage the responsibility of caring for a herd of five elephants? The image of Blaze, the fiercely scarred elephant, lingered in her mind, a reminder of the formidable challenges ahead.

Overwhelmed by doubt, Khumo couldn't fathom how she would navigate this seemingly impossible mission. She couldn't simply lead the elephants on her own; their instincts and bonds with each other were complex, far beyond her understanding. Doubts crept in, and she questioned whether she was equipped for this immense undertaking.

The weight of her mother's legacy bore down on her, the notebook a constant reminder of the knowledge and wisdom she carried. Her mother's work was a treasure, a legacy that deserved to be shared with the world. Yet, it seemed too much for Khumo to shoulder alone.

The thought of returning home, seeking help from professionals, crossed her mind. After all, these elephants were supposed to be extinct, and handling them would require expertise beyond her grasp. Perhaps it was wiser to leave it to others who possessed the knowledge and resources to care for these magnificent creatures.

Without a second glance at the elephants, Khumo secured her mother's notebook back in her rucksack. A sense of defeat washed over her as she turned away from the wilderness and headed back through the dunes, retracing her steps toward the familiarity of home.

As she journeyed, her mind remained conflicted. There was a part of her that yearned to return to the world she knew, where she could find the help she needed to fulfill her mother's legacy. But another part of her was haunted by the thought of leaving the elephants to fend for themselves.

With each step, Khumo struggled to reconcile the two sides of her heart. Her mother's voice echoed in her mind, reminding her of the beauty and sanctity of the untamed world. The elephants represented a link to her mother, a connection she could not abandon.

As she trudged onward, Khumo knew that the decision she faced was not an easy one. It wasn't just about her own needs or her mother's obligations; it was about embracing the responsibility she carried within her.

The journey back to the train station felt different this time. The familiarity of home awaited her, but she couldn't shake the feeling that a part of her belonged to this untamed wilderness—to the elephants and the wisdom they held of her damned unconventional mother.

Khumo's footsteps were heavy as she traversed the vast expanse of the untamed landscape. The absence of the storm allowed her to breathe a little easier, but the sinking sand under her feet posed a constant challenge. She felt the weight of recent events press down upon her, the burden of the decision she had made evident in the way her shoulders slumped.