Part 40

It seemed to be curious about everything, but also wary of something. She wondered what it was, and where it came from. The storm outside only reinforced her curiosity. It was no ordinary storm. It was a manifestation of something bigger, something she couldn't quite comprehend.

Looking around her, she saw that the other elephants were asleep their trumpets muffled by the relentless thunderstorm outside. She couldn't blame them, as the world they once knew had changed so much. The weather had become more unpredictable, the animals were becoming scarcer, and strange phenomena were occurring all around them.

As she closed her eyes, Khumo felt homesick, thinking of her mother and her own nest that was some thousands of kilometres away. She longed for her mother's gentle touch and her soothing voice, and the sense of security that came with it. But she knew that she couldn't cling to the past forever, and that they had to move on and adjust to their new reality. She felt the breeze of the night sky, and knew that the storm had cleared, leaving behind a calm grey blanket of clouds in the pale night.

Khumo blinked and rubbed her eyes, trying to shake off the drowsiness that weighed on her. She took a deep breath, but it felt stale and damp in the cave. She longed for fresh air, for the scent of grass and flowers, for the warmth of the sun. She missed her home, where she had felt happy and free. Now she was trapped in this dark and wet place, with no idea when she would see the light again.

She reached for the map and the GPS device, hoping to find some clue about their location and their progress. But the GPS was useless in the cave, and the map was vague and outdated. She knew they had fallen behind schedule because of the storm, and that they had to keep moving if they wanted to survive. But where were they going? And how long would it take?

She stood up and stretched her limbs, feeling a surge of restlessness. She looked around at the other elephants, who were still huddled together in a corner of the cave. They looked tired and scared, their eyes dull and their trunks limp. They had taken shelter from the cold water that poured from the ceiling, but they had not found any comfort or peace. Khumo wished she could do something to help them, to cheer them up, to give them hope. But she felt just as lost and hopeless as they did.

Khumo felt a restless urge to leave the cave, even though she knew it was risky. The storm had passed, but the weather was still gloomy and wet. She wanted to see what was out there, especially after the rain, she had to also check on their current position, and she need a break away from her mind. She walked towards the entrance of the cave, ignoring the warnings of the other elephants.

She stepped out into the open and gasped. The wind and the rain hit her like a wall, knocking her back. She had never seen such a fierce storm before - the rain was falling in torrents, and the wind remained vicious. Khumo braced herself and pushed forward, determined to face the challenge

Despite the danger, Khumo felt a sense of exhilaration and freedom as she made her way through the deluge. She felt alive in a way that she had never felt before - the adrenaline rushing through her veins, the wind whipping her hair around her face, the rain soaking through her skin.

She managed to catch a signal on the GPS, and was able to get an idea of where she had been, but her awe was interrupted by the sound of the elephants trumpeting, calling out for her to return to safety. Khumo turned around the see their worried expressions as they gathered by the cave entrance, herald by Flash. They were intent to denounce her need for thrills, but Khumo had convinced herself she'd been justified in her journey.

She relented though, aware that ignoring the elephant's pleas could led to the silent treatment from the elephants, which would have likely meant no trumpet calls for some days. She turned around and headed back to the cave, but it was not easy.

The storm was not over yet. It was only taking a brief pause, gathering its strength for another attack. Khumo could feel it in the air, the tension and the pressure, the ominous silence that preceded the chaos.

She could see it in the sky, the dark clouds that loomed over the horizon, the flashes of light that pierced the gloom. She could hear it in the distance, the rumble of thunder that grew louder and closer, the sound of rain that turned from a drizzle to a downpour. She hoped to reach the cave before the storm got worse, before she needed someone to rescue her again. But she was too late.

She had underestimated the storm, and overestimated herself. She had put herself and the others in danger, for no good reason. She had been foolish and reckless. She wished she had stayed in the cave.

The storm unleashed its fury again, with renewed force and violence. The wind whipped up into a frenzy, hurling debris and dust into the air. The rain poured down like a waterfall, soaking everything in its path. The thunder boomed and cracked, shaking the ground and the trees. The lightning streaked across the sky, illuminating the scene with a blinding glare.