Part 36

She observed that the ceiling was lofty and arched, and there were several smaller tunnels leading away from the main cavern. As she ventured deeper into the cave, she saw that there were stalactites and stalagmites of various shapes and sizes, some of which were colossal, reaching up towards the ceiling like sharp teeth. The floor was rough, with huge rocks and cracks that made walking dangerous, and further exploration for the elephants impossible. Khumo knew that they couldn't stay in the cave for too long, but they needed to rest and recover before continuing their journey.

And she couldn't resist indulging her curiosity and wonder at the cave. She felt a sense of awe and admiration at the natural beauty and mystery of the caverns. She wondered how they were formed, and what else they might contain. She felt a connection to the earth and its secrets, and she wanted to learn more.

Despite the beauty of the cave, Khumo could not forget the deafening sound of the lightning outside. She knew that the elephants were still uneasy, with the lightning striking nonstop, and that they needed to find a way to soothe them further. She didn't know how to do that, but she sang a hum her mother used to sing to her, and while it didn't reach everyone, it seemed to have a great effect on Flash, who had been tense and nervous ever since the storm started.

He hated the loud noises and the bright flashes, and he felt scared and helpless. He clung to his mother's side, hoping she would protect him from the storm. But he could tell that she was also afraid, and that made him feel even worse. He wished the storm would stop, and that they could find a peaceful home.

Yet the singing seemed to get to him, He listened to Khumo's hum, and he felt a wave of calm wash over him. He felt his muscles relax, and his breathing slow down. He felt his mother's warmth and comfort, and he snuggled closer to her. He closed his eyes, and he drifted into a peaceful sleep.

Satisfied with reaching Flash, she continued her exploration of the cave, and her eyes were drawn to a strange glow coming from a corner of the cave. As she approached, she saw that there were insects - tiny, glowing creatures that flew around, leaving trails of light behind them, but odd in their metallic appearance. She was amazed by their beauty, and wondered how they could possibly survive in a world that had been so ravaged by pollution and climate change. Khumo knew that her mother would have loved to see these creatures, to witness their beauty and marvel at their unique features.

She imagined her mother's face brightening up with joy as she watched the insects swirl around Khumo, their radiance creating a magical glow on the cave walls. She remembered her childhood home, a small and cosy place in the rewild landscapes far away from where she was.

The zoo that she spent so much time admiring the sounds of birds and animals, the smells of flowers and fruits, the sights of waterfalls and rainbows. She remembered how happy she was there, with her mother and her friends. She missed her home dearly, and she hoped that one day she could return to it.

As Khumo gently gathered a few of the insects to put in her mother's book, she felt a connection to her mother. It was as if her mother was with her in the cave, enjoying the wonder of this discovery. Khumo knew that this moment would be etched in her memory forever, and she was thankful for the chance to experience it. With the sample securely tucked in her pack, Khumo resumed her exploration of the caverns, along the intricate paths that seemed so enchanting.

Khumo was about toput her mother's notebook back into the satchel when she felt somethingstrange. A soft, leather bag was wedged between the rough rocks of the cavewall, barely visible in the dim light. She wondered how it got there and wholeft it behind. She moved closer to it, her curiosity overcoming her fear.