Just because I'm a female...

I woke up to my alarm. I was going to ignore it until I realized I had to go change the oil in my car. I got ready for school and headed downstairs.

My mom was sitting at the kitchen table with her face in her hands. She sounded like she was crying.

"Morning mom," I started. I grabbed a water bottle out of the fridge.

"Hi honey. Where are you going?" She asked, rubbing her face.

"I have to change the oil in my car," I said slowly.

"When did you become such a bright young woman?" She asked fake smiling.

"Ever since you decided to ditch the rest of my high school career," I replied.

"You know that wasn't my choice," she sighed.

"To hell with that! It is your own choice to wake up every morning and take that beer and drink it. You put yourself through that just because dad died," I yelled.

"It is not my fault I can't handle his passing," she sniffled.

"It was 13 when he died. I went through that all by myself because you were busy drinking yourself to nothing. I pay the bills, I go grocery shopping, I provide for the both of us when that's suppose to be your job!" I shouted. By the end of my speech tears were falling freely from my eyes. This was the most my mom and I have talked since my dad was alive.

I slammed the fridge shut and walked down the hall. I grabbed the oil by the door and went to my car.

I pulled out the ramps and put them at the end of my driveway. This was the hardest part, getting my tires line up and on the ramps.

I was on my third try when a boy on a motorcycle pulled up next to my mailbox. At first I couldn't tell who it was, I was too focused. Then when the well built body got off, I realized it was Ace.

Without speaking to me, he motioned me to keep going up the ramps. It took a couple minutes of him straightening the ramps out and me backing up until I was finally on the ramps.

I shut the car off and hopped out.

"Thank you," I said.

He just nodded his head.

I grabbed my toolbox and slid down under my car. I was waiting for his feet to retreat but they remained by the driver tire.

I sighed to myself.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"I don't have a filter. I forgot to get one," I explained.

"You go to get oil but you forget the filter?" He wondered.

"Yeah, there was somebody super annoying at the aisle and I needed to get away," I teased.

I think we were past being angry at each other but I still didn't want anything to do with him.

"I'll give you a ride to school," he offered. 

"Not, it's fine. My car can last 10 more miles," I said. I packed up my tools and scooted out from under the car.

"It's going to be more than ten miles, you have to go to school then town," he countered.

"But I'm not going to have a ride to town," I replied. I threw the oil in the back of my car and leaned against the door.

"I'll drive you to school, then town, then home so you can get your car for work," he said, grimacing at that word.

"I can't ask you to do that," I replied.