Decisions

I sat at the counter with my face in my hands. My shoulders were shaking from all the crying I had just done. Ace had no right to just walk back into my life after ruining it.

While my face was still in my hands, the bell jingled again. My first thought was it was Ace, he was back to apologize. But it wasn't Ace. It was Jason.

"Why was Ace here?"He demanded, walking right up to my counter.

"He had to buy a book," I muttered.

"Buy a book? Ace would never buy a book. He was here to see you, wasn't he?" Jason yelled.

"Why were following him? Why are you following me?" I snapped back.

"If I can't have you, Ace can't have you," he explained firmly.

"If I see you anywhere near me again, I'm filing for a restraining order," I threatened.

Jason just laughed. "Like I'm going to follow a restraining order."

"Jason, I'm usually a very patient person, but you're pushing it. Quit being childish and just leave. Please," I added.

"I can't just leave you alone. Somebody needs to watch you," Jason said.

"Why? I can handle myself. I always have. Just stop bothering me, leave Ace out of this, just go," I begged.

"I think I've always thought of my women as property, something that only I'm allowed to use," Jason thought.

"So women are like doormats to you? That's disgusting. Get out of my store and get out of my life," I hissed.

Jason sighed. "This isn't over."

"Yeah, it kind of is. This game you're playing is pointless," I yelled, while he was walking out.

I didn't care about what Jason said. I cared about what I said to Ace. In a way, it felt good to get it off my chest, but at the same time guilt was gnawing away at the edge of my heart. I think it was a good decision on my part to get Ace out of my life if he never wanted to be anything more than friends.

Making decisions was hard.

******

I drove home with music down low. The night sky was hard to see with all the fog. I had my brights on and was driving 5 miles under the speed limit.

I was thoroughly creeped out by my current situation. At one of the first intersections that I go through to get home, I didn't see the mini van coming through and had to stomp on the breaks.

The second intersection looked deserted. I slowly pressed down on the gas and looked both ways one more time. I was too late to step on the breaks before the truck rammed into the passenger side of my car.

At first it was all noise. Constant crashing and breaking and bending of metal pierced my ears. I wasn't sure where i ended up. Then it was color. My eyes were staring into the head lights of the truck. Then it became quiet and dark.

*******
I woke to the sound of ambulance sirens. My vision was blurry. The passenger side of my car was against the pavement. I was dangling by my seatlbelt. They were right in my ear. I tried to grab my seat belt but my shoulder protested in pain. It was probably dislocated.

A car door slammed and I saw feet running my way. They stopped by my head and the body crouched down.

"Ma'am, are you okay?" The man asked.

"Yeah, I think so. My shoulders dislocated, I think. And my leg is stuck under something," I replied.

"It's stuck under your car. The truck pushed you up against a tree and you probably rolled a couple times. The metal is pushing down on your leg," he explained.