Tutoring and Partying

Ace followed me all the way to work. We had gotten lunch at McDonald's and then went to Walmart. I figured then was as good as time as any to go grocery shopping. Ace had an errand to run while I went home and filled the cabinets. He met me back at my house within a half hour.

By the time we were done with that, I decided going in early to work would be best for all of us. I had relieved Charlotte of her duties, with a lot of convincing.

"So let's get this started," I said to Ace. I sat behind the counter in my usual position and Ace pulled up a stool.

Around 3:30 Jade walked in with a pile of books and papers in her arms.

"Here you go princess, your work you missed while you ditched," she smiled. I could tell she was joking.

"I didn't ditch, I had to leave," I explained.

"How's your mom?" She whispered, glancing at Ace.

"She's still asleep but apparently she'll be waking up tomorrow morning," I proclaimed.

"Want to do something fun then after work?" Jade asked, her eyes begging.

"Like what?" I said, wary.

"Jason is throwing this party tonight. Apparently it's suppose to be huge," she urged.

I had already told Jason I would contact him as soon as I knew my schedule. If I showed up I would just explain that it opened up real quick.

"Yeah, I guess. If I finish my homework," I decided.

"So, I'll pick you up around ten then?" She smiled.

"Ten sounds good," I agreed.

We said our goodbyes and she left. I've never been to a party. And that makes me sound like a total nerd.

"You party?" Ace asked. We had completed 4 worksheets out of his whole folder.

"No," I nodded firmly.

He stared at me.

"Then why are you going?"

"I told Jason when my schedule cleared up we could hang out," I shrugged.

I turned to the computer and double checked the inventory. Not one person had came in since we got here. I honestly don't know how she manages to stay open.

"You and Jason are friends?" He wondered.

"No, not really. But he said he wanted to hang out," I explained.

"So you're just going to hang out with a probably very horny teenage boy that you don't even know?" He demanded.

"Well for one, there is going to be multiple people there. And two, I can handle myself," I proclaimed.

"You don't know Jason," he muttered.

"Well, I'm going to get to know him," I said.

"I have to go. I'll see you at the party," Ace said quickly. He packed up his things and stood up.

"Where are you going?" I asked confused.

"I have stuff to do," he snapped.

He walked out with his backpack on one shoulder, and didn't even turn back.

******

It felt like forever before ten oclock rolled around. I needed to see Ace and talk to him. He just walked out, and we were having such a good time. It felt natural.

Once Jade walked in, I couldn't even tell it was her. Her usual brown curly hair was straightened down to the middle of her back. Her green eyes popped against the black makeup surrounding her eyes. She had on a black crop top with blue ripped skinny jeans.