Fear

Sunday passed by slowly. I stayed home by myself and caught up on some homework.
It was nice to have the house to myself and not to have to worry about my mom. Although I was constantly thinking where is she until until I remembered she was in jail.

Around noon the social security worker came knocking on my door. She was friendly, but in a hurry. She checked the house, asked how I was and left. I think she trusted me.

I was about to crawl into bed when my doorbell rang. It was only 9:30, but this was unusual.

I dragged my feet down the stairs and opened the door. To my utter surprise, it was Jason. He looked like he just got back from a fight. He had a cut lip and bloody nose.

I started to close the door but his hand stopped me. "Wait, please, it's Ace."

"What are you talking about?" I demanded.

"Ace is hurt," Jason said.

"What happened?" I snapped, grabbing my keys from the hook.

"He was at his fight club and the guy he was fighting pulled a knife," he explained.

I was about to walk out the door when my phone rang. Lighting up the screen was Ace's name.

"Ace? Where are you? Are you okay?" I demanded.

I looked up at Jason, he suddenly looked angry.

"I'm at home, I had a question on Economics," he said, sounding confused. "What's wrong?"

Jason shook his head at me and pulled a knife out from his back pocket. My heart started to race and I didn't know what to do.

"Nothing, false alarm," I lied, sounding breathless.

Jason smiled evilly. He walked in and shut the door behind him.

Hang up, he mouthed.

"I have to go, Jade is here," I said, hoping he could hear the fear in my voice.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Ace asked.

"Yeah, I'm just feeling a little sick. I think I might have the flu," I hinted. Please Ace, catch on.

"Well I'll come over to check on you, I'm leaving now," he said, making me sigh in relief.

"Yeah, sounds good. See you tomorrow," I said quickly then hung up. Jason was glaring at me with the knife shining in his hand.

I kept my phone in my hand with 911 one click away. Jason stood an arms length away.

"What did Ace want?" He asked casually.

"He had a question on Economics," I replied weakly.

"He didn't ask it, though," Jason pointed out.

I was quiet, he had caught me. Ace never got around to answering the question. I clicked call to 911.

"You haven't been very nice to me," Jason said, dancing around the subject.

"What are you going to do to me?" I asked. My phone was at my side. I was praying that the person on the other end could hear the conversation.

"I plan on killing you," he shrugged.

"Please don't," I begged pathetically.

I was doing the math in my head. If Ace left when he said he was, he would be here in about 5 minutes, going the speed limit. If the police heard what was happening, they were 15 minutes away from me, and they wouldn't go the speed limit. I just had to stall Jason long enough for somebody to come save me.