Memories

Driving down the old dirt road my dad and I always used to take was oddly refreshing. The road led to a bridge that was rarely ever used, if ever. Below it was a small creek with a tiny waterfall that had just enough water to keep flowing. This was the bridge where my dad died.

I was pulling up to it when I realized there was a motorcycle parked on the side of the road. It looked oddly familiar, but at the same time, all motorcycles look the same.

I parked behind the motorcycle and got out of my car. I could hear the water flowing over the rocks, a steady drip.

Leaning against the guardrail was Ace. He had an unlit cigarette between his lips. He looked to be deep in thought.

I walked over to him and stood by him. He wasn't paying attention to me, probably because he had ear buds in. I was most likely to going to scare him so I walked down to the end of the guardrail and stood there. I thought about everything.

From my mother being in the hospital and what would happen to her; what would happen to me. And how my grades are probably going to fall apart. My one goal in my life ruined by a boy. Ace was the reason I failed that test, he had me unfocused. I thought about the hospital bills. Who would pay for those? Or how about college for me? I had a fund being saved up, but it might go towards the bills. And I thought about my father.

He was by far my best friend. He was always there for me, home on time from work to pick me up at school. Then we would go home and do my homework. He taught me to play softball l, something that I hold dear to my heart. He never got angry at me for making a mistake, he taught me to learn from it instead. I missed him everyday of my life, and people lie. It never gets easier. The pain I feel today is the same pain I feel when he died.

"Peaceful isn't it?" Ace asked, making me jump.

"You startled me," I replied.

"Sorry," he shrugged.

"It's okay. I just didn't think this place was well known," I explained.

"Yeah, how do you know this place?" He asked.

"Umm, my dad died in a car crash on this bridge," I muttered.

Ace was quiet for a second.

"Sorry to hear that," he whispered.

"Why are you here?" I pondered.

"Clear my head," he nodded.

"I know this is off topic, but who's Mia?" I questioned.

"This friend of mine. Why?"

"Well, she's going around telling everybody I beat her up late last night because she saw you and me together. She thinks you were cheating," I replied quickly.

"She'll get over it. She's just jealous," he said.

"I don't think you understand. I'm not at school because it's bad. Everybody was staring and whispering about me," I replied.

"Yeah, she does that. You're not the first person. She's, um, possessive, I guess you could say," he chuckled.

"Do you love her?" I wondered.

He stared at me. "What makes you think that?"

"I don't know. I've never really seen love...I was just wondering," I shrugged.

"No, I'm not in love with her. We aren't even suppose to be a couple but she's a good kisser so I keep her around," he said nonchalantly.

I nodded in understanding but I didn't really understand. Boys and their sexual desires.