Home

I was standing in the door frame of my hospital room. I was finally able to go home and Ace was going to take me. We didn't talk about him staying with me, but we both knew it would come up eventually.

These last three days have been bliss even in a hospital bed. I tried to get up and walk around with my crutches a little bit, but I am so unstable that I had to quit. Going to the bathroom was quite the scene.

Ace came rolling around the corner of the hallway with my wheelchair. Right beside him was my nurse who was obsessed with him. I rolled my eyes.

"Ready?" Ace smiled.

"I've been ready for three days," I sighed. I used most of my arm strength to gently lower myself into the chair.

"I'll wheel you out of here as fast as I can," Ace laughed.

It took about another hour to check out. I needed to get my hospital bills and get a wheel chair that I could take home. Then the secretary needed to figure out what pills I needed to take. The only thing that kept me from blowing my lid was Ace running his fingers through my hair.

Once all of the paper work was done, Ace literally ran me out of the hospital. He ran me through the parking lot all the way back to his car.

"Do you know where they took my car?" I asked Ace once I was situated in the front seat.

"Yeah, downtown to Cleen's," Ace replied.

"Do you know how long until it's fixed?" I continued.

"Sometime next week they said," Ace replied.

"And how much is it going to cost?" I sighed.

"About 5 grand," Ace said.

"Fuck. Add that to my 11 grand hospital bill," I chuckled, humorlessly.

"We'll figure it out," Ace promised.

*******

Pulling into my gravel driveway was refreshing.  I missed the comforts of my own home so much. I unbuckled and waited for Ace to come to my side with the wheel chair.

He had a hard time getting me up the five steps before the front door, he was being too gentle.

"Ace, man up," I laughed.

He muttered something under his breath and pulled me up the last stair. He flung open the door and pushed me inside. He was obviously angry.

"Ace, slow down. What's wrong?" I asked, using the wheels to face Ace.

"I don't want to hurt you," he replied. He ran his hands through his hair, something he did when he angry.

"It's gonna be pretty hard to hurt me. I'm on some pretty heavy medications," I said, trying to lighten the mood.

Ace smirked against his own will.

"You're funny," he said sarcastically.

"But seriously, the only way you can hurt me is if you leave me," I replied.

"I don't plan on leaving you," he whispered. He handed me my crutches and helped me out of the wheel chair. I hobbled my way into the kitchen and sat down at the table.

"Well good, because I'm going to need somebody to help me figure out the bills," I smiled.

He handed me the envelope from the hospital filled with my bills. I owe 11 grand for my three days in the hospital and the ambulance ride, and then 5 grand for the damage done to my car.

"Do you think it'll be cheaper to just buy a new car?" I asked Ace.

"Probably, but you can just have one of mine," Ace shrugged.