Loss

Strong language. Don't read if you don't like it.

I'm usually a very composed person. Very few things actually drive me nuts. And I very rarely cry. I don't know why that phone call from the doctors made me lose it. I always knew in the back of my mind that this would happen.

"Phoenix, come on. Talk to me," Ace begged.

I continued to lay in his bed, tears slowly rolling down my face. I didn't want to think about it.

Ace made his way over to the bed. He crawled over to me and pulled me into his embrace. That's when I really lost it.

I had my head on his chest and his arms wrapped around my waist. My hands laid limp on his chest. I was crying so hard it was difficult to catch my breath.

"It's okay, calm down," Ace whispered into my ear.

"They took her away," I cried.

"Took her away where?"

"They took her to jail," I sniffed. "For neglect to a child, not providing for her child, endangering a child, and not paying her taxes."

"Endangering a child and not paying taxes?" He questioned.

"Her alcoholism was endangering me because there was nobody else to watch me, and I tried to pay the taxes but I didn't make enough money to pay them in full," I whispered.

"So what happens to you?" He asked.

"I continue to stay at home but a social security worker will check up on me everyday. With my age, putting me into foster care will only last a few months. I stop paying the bills, that will be taken care of legally. And so will the tax problem," I explained.

"Which jail?" He coaxed.

"I don't know. They won't tell me because she isn't allowed visitors, and she isn't up for parole for 3 years. The police officer did say she would be getting rehab though," I choked.

"They're not allowing you to see your own mother?" He asked, his arms wrapping tighter around me.

"Not until she's eligible for parole," I cried.

Ace and I laid there, tears continuing to slide down my face. I lost my father to a car accident, and my mother to alcoholism. I didn't have any siblings. I only had Jade and Ace left and who knew how long Ace would want to be around me?

I grabbed my phone and gave Jade a quick text.

Mom got taken to jail. Can't see her for the next 3 years. I'm not okay, but I'm with Ace. I'll talk to you Monday.

"Now what?" I asked Ace.

"I'm not sure," he replied.

Before I could reply, the doorbell rang.

Ace started to get up. "Don't do anything rash, I'll be back."

"Okay," I replied.

He left the room. I heard him travel down the stairs and then it was quiet.

I thought about him the entire time he was gone. He didn't have to take of me after what happened with Jason. He didn't have to allow me to stay in his house. He didn't have to hold me while I had a mental breakdown. He didn't even have to tell me he spends time at the local library. I think deep down I was falling for him, but I knew that I couldn't. My life was falling apart and he would only break my heart. But as long as he wanted to stay friends, so would I.