𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔬

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

age: 8

The birds of Velaris were incredibly elegant. My mother wrapped her arms around me as we sat on the balcony outside my bedroom, staring at the flying creatures.

"They're called starlings," she told me, planting a kiss on the side of my head.

"That's what you call me," I remembered, turning my head to look at her.

I had been her 'little starling' for as long as I could remember. I loved it, even though I had no idea what it meant. I always assumed it was because the word 'star' was in it and I was the Princess of the Night Court.

"Yes," she smiled, turning me around so I was fully facing her. "My little starling."

I grinned, resting my head on her shoulder. She hugged me tightly, brushing my hair back. I loved these peaceful mornings when Father was training and Rhys was still asleep. When it was just me and her.

The air was crisp this time of year, but it was a nice and quiet morning, except for the chirping of the birds. My mother always smelled of vanilla. To me, it was the most comforting scent in the world.

"Good morning," I heard in my head.

"Don't ruin this morning for me," I warned my brother, the peace I felt coming to a halt.

"What makes you think I'd ruin it?"

"You always get us into trouble."

"You're never completely innocent when it happens."

"Shut up and leave me alone."

His voice faded from my mind and I sighed, snuggling closer to my mother. My mother chuckled at something and I looked up at her curiously.

"Your brother just informed me that you're being mean to him," she teased. I rolled my eyes and put my head back down.

"He should know better than to bother me in the morning."

I closed my eyes again and tried my best to fall asleep with my head on my mother's shoulder as she held me close.

The door to the balcony slammed open and I groaned, lifting my head to look at Rhys. He had an irritating grin on his face.

"Go away!" I snapped.

"Evelina Lily Estrella, be nice to your brother," Mother scolded. "And Rhysand, do not irritate her on purpose."

"Sorry," we both mumbled at the same time.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

age: 8

My nerves were getting the best of me. Our parents had called us in for a meeting before breakfast. Rhys was gripping my hand tight enough to worry me.

"What are they going to tell us?" I asked into Rhys's head.

"I think I might know."

He did not elaborate on that, which would've infuriated me if my anxiety hadn't been eating me alive.

Our parents were both standing and waiting for us in the sitting room. Mother immediately strode over to us.

"Good morning, my dears," Mother greeted us, kissing us both on the head. She had never greeted us with such nervousness in her eyes.

"What's going on?" I asked, looking around the room. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

"You have a decision to make, Eve," Father announced. My head tilted to the side as my eyebrows furrowed.

"What?"

"Rhysand is going to train in Windhaven," he explained. "And your mother is going with him." Fear tugged at my heart.

"Why?" I demanded, turning to my mother with wide eyes.

"So he can continue his education," she said softly, brushing my hair back as she knelt before me. "Now, you can stay here with your father or come with us. It will take a while though. About ten years."

"Ten years?"

"Yes."

I had absolutely no desire to live in those cold mountains, but I didn't want to be away from Mother and Rhys either.

I loved my father very much, but I could bear to be away from him. I wasn't as close to him as I was to Rhys and Mother.

"What about Mor?" I asked, my lower lip quivering.

"She'll visit us just as often," Mother promised. That was reassuring. Maybe Father would visit as well.

"I'll go with you," I decided, though my voice was barely above a whisper.

"Then you should pack tonight," Father announced, very nonchalant about his wife and children leaving him for a decade.

"Tonight?" I snapped, my eyes widening as they filled with tears.

"Yes," he replied.

I turned to Rhys, who wouldn't meet my gaze. I stomped my foot and stormed off, running into my bedroom.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

Tears silently streamed down my face as I stood in the doorway with my packed bag. Rhys held my hand again. He seemed nervous, but I was sure he was trying to hide it for my sake.

"Are you two ready?" Mother asked. We both nodded, although I wasn't so sure. "Don't worry, dears. You're both going to make lots of friends."

I doubted that. There weren't many girls there, and from what I'd heard, Illyria didn't look kindly on females.

Mother took both of our hands, squeezed them gently to reassure us, and then we were gone.

As soon as we arrived, the bitter cold hit me. We were on a snowy mountain, in front of a small hut.

"Is this where we're staying?" I asked with a pout.

I had never known anything but the House of Wind, which was huge. I enjoyed the luxury of it and the servants who made my food and cleaned up after me.

"Yes," she confirmed and opened the door. "Maybe you'll learn not to be so spoiled."

"How far do I have to walk to get to where I train?" Rhys asked. "It's cold."

"Five minutes," she replied. "And you'll get used to it. I bought you both some nice leathers to keep you warm."

I plopped down on the couch in front of the fireplace. Mother started to put some wood in it.

There were times when I wished I was from the Autumn Court, just so I could start a fire whenever I wanted. But then I'd fly through the night sky and realize that I was lucky with my heritage.