𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔦𝔳𝔢

‧‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

age: 11

    I was stumbling through the path back home, my skates in hand. The cold was nipping at my nose. I wished I'd brought a scarf.

    A group of young girls around my age were walking towards the pond I had been skating on. There weren't many girls here. Most of them were the sisters of boys that were training, just as I was. I tried to avoid them.

    One of them started whispering to the other when she saw me. The girl giggled, whispering back. I stared at the ground as I got closer to them.

"Where are your wings?" one of them called out to me in Illyrian. I had put my wings away to skate. It was harder to balance when they were out.

"She's a half breed," another sneered. I felt my lower lip quiver, but I bit it.

"Didn't you have to get your wings clipped last year, Reyna?" one of them asked the eldest of the girls.

"Yes, I did," Reyna said, her gaze never leaving me. "And all of you will get yours clipped. But not Evelina. The lucky bitch will be able to fly forever."

    I didn't know how to respond to that. I wasn't going to apologize for not having my wings clipped.

"Spoiled little princess," she spat, shoving me down.

    I put my arms out to catch me, wincing as I sliced my arm on the edge of my skate. She kicked me in the stomach and I groaned, doubling over.

   I laid there, waiting for them to be far away before I stood up. When I knew they couldn't hear me anymore, I ran to the bushes and threw up. When I was done heaving, I adjusted my sleeves to cover the bleeding cut on my arm.

   I wiped the tears from my eyes, sniffling as I walked home. I was used to the insults, but none of them had ever gotten physical with me before.

   I entered the house and stomped my foot in frustration. Before I could start crying again, a shadow, the one I'd named Charlie, was at my side.

    I sighed, letting him nuzzle against my cheek in comfort. I followed him to the kitchen where Azriel was sitting at the table alone, reading his school books.  

"What's wrong, Evie?" Az asked me, concern tracing his features.

"Nothing," I lied. "I'm okay."

     Had it been anyone else, it would've been convincing. But I could never lie to Azriel. The shadow I called Ash gripped my sleeve and pulled it up, revealing the cut to Azriel.     

"Tattletale," I grumbled at Ash.

     Az was immediately on his feet, rushing to me and fussing over the cut.

"Sit down," he told me sternly.

     I obliged, sitting at the kitchen table. He went off to the bathroom, coming back with some bandages.

"What happened?" he asked me.

"Some girls are really mean," I sniffled. His face softened.

      He finished cleaning me up and wrapping the wound, then pressed a kiss to the top of my head. I blushed, then hid my face in my hands to hide it.

‧‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

      The crisp winter air filled my lungs as I crouched behind a snow-covered barricade, a snowball in my gloved hand. The three boys stood across from me, grinning mischievously.