𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶

Hey, everyone. So I am currently in the process of reading Crescent City, but I don't have a lot of time because of work.  So I probably won't get to the new book for a few weeks.

If I write something that contradicts any new information we get in CC3, ignore it. I will fix it after I read the book.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

age: 25

I knew Elio was seeing other females again. This time I decided not to say anything. He'd been on edge lately. I'd stopped expecting too much from him. 

I especially didn't say anything when we were fucking. He was still as rough as always, but something had changed. It seemed he was being rough because he needed to get his anger out now, not because I enjoyed it.

"Elio, are you okay?" I managed as I lay on my back, him thrusting into me brutally.

"Shut up," he replied, pinning my wrists above my head. I struggled to get my arms back down, but his grip was too tight.

It wasn't unusual for him to be mean to me in bed. I had told him that I liked it. At least, I used to like it. So, I nodded, going quiet.

His father had been so hard on him lately. He kept coming to our chambers at night with bruises. If he needed quiet, I would give it to him. The war was nearing, so everyone was on edge.

   When he finished, he rolled off of me, not caring if I came or not. That never changed. I stared at the ceiling, not letting myself cry. Not in front of him.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

age: 26

    Foster sat on my lap as I wrote back to my family. It was my 26th birthday, and all of them had sent me individual letters. Except for my father.

    Father hadn't written to me at all since he'd married me off. Not that I wanted to hear from him, nor would I respond, but it felt like it was the least he could do.

    But I sent back thank you notes, along with updates to my life. I wrote six of them, one for Mother, Rhys, Azriel, Cassian, Mor, and Astraea.

"What does 'temperamental' mean?" Foster asked as he read what I was writing, butchering the pronunciation of the word. The six year old was such a good little reader for his age. Eden had been teaching him.

"Nothing, sweetheart," I lied, since the male I had been using that word to describe was in the same room as us. Elio didn't seem to be listening, though.

"Don't treat me like a baby," Foster complained. I only rolled my violet eyes and mussed his red hair.

"We need to dress soon," I said to Elio.

"Dress for what?" he questioned, not even glancing at me.

     A frustrated sigh left my lips. I stared at the male who didn't seem to be paying attention at all. I nudged Foster.

"Foster, go find your mother so she can get you dressed," I said to the boy.

"Okay," he agreed, jumping off of my lap and leaving the room, closing the door behind him.

"Get dressed for what?" Elio repeated, the words clipped.

"My birthday party," I reminded him, the words coming out less confident than I meant them to. "The one your mother's throwing for me."

"Shit, that's today?" he groaned, turning to face me. "I have plans."

"Yes, today is my birthday," I said quietly. "Did you really forget my birthday?" He hadn't mentioned it all day.

"I'm sorry, I've just had a lot going on lately," he explained, rubbing his face. "I'll be there, I'll just be late."

"Fine," I huffed.

.‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

    Once the party started, I almost forgot my husbands absence. Eden and I started drinking, I danced with little Foster, and Marzia made a wonderful cake.

    And I had to admit, I looked so beautiful. I had on a deep red velvet gown with a white lace draped over my forearms.

    My hair was curled, hanging loose. Eden did my makeup, kohl lining my eyes, red stain on my lips and cheeks.

    But the smile faded from my face when my husband entered the party, Katina following close behind, her face flushed. When they finally approached me, I realized.

    Their scents were all over each other.

    Eden and Marzia both seemed to notice the same time I did. Pity washed over their faces, which only upset me more.

     I just clenched my jaw, pushing past my husband as he tried to speak to me. I stormed out of the party, holding my dress up so I didn't trip on it.

    I found myself in the first empty room I could, slamming the door behind me. I burst into violent sobs, my entire body shaking with them. I didn't even care that the kohl from my eyes was running. 

    After a while, the door crept open. Elio stepped in, his face marked with feigned confusion. I almost threw the nearest candlestick at him. Almost.

"What's wrong now?" he demanded as he stepped over to me. I wiped my tears, getting to my feet.

"You're fucking her," I accused, storming towards him.

"I've known her my entire life," he said. "I've been fucking her since before you were even born. You think our marriage was gonna stop that?"

"You had to fuck her right before the party," I sobbed. "You two had to walk into the party together, where everyone could scent you on each other."

"Males aren't expected to stay faithful in this court," he explained.

"I expect you to stay faithful!" I yelled. "You knew everyone would be able to tell. You knew I would. And you didn't care."

"You're overreacting. Nobody cares as much as you do."

    When the door opened, we both turned. Eden came storming in, a glare set on her brother. She came to my side, wiping the tears from my eyes and helping me to my feet.

"You're an asshole," she sneered at her brother. "I always thought you were different, but I guess you're just like Father—"

    She barely got the words out when his hand struck her face. She whimpered, hand flying to her cheek, then looked up at him with big, shock filled eyes. I flinched, staring at my husband in disbelief.

"Let's go, Eve," she said, her voice breaking. I took her arm and led her away from him.