𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶-𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔢

.͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

age: 38

I had insisted that Solstice just be the four of us this year. The war had just ended, and I didn't want to celebrate with his entire family.

Elio agreed, and so we went on a little trip to the cabin in the woods where I had visited my mother and Rhys.

Elio knew that the Winter Solstice wasn't an easy time for me. It was the time of year that I missed my family more than anything. We sent each other gifts and letters, but it didn't compare to being with them.

Elio had his arm around me that evening as we sat on the couch and watched the children open their presents.

I thought about Rhys and me when we were their age on Solstice. It was our last Solstice before we moved to Windhaven.

We had fought about who got the better gifts, and Father had to leave the room so he didn't lose his temper at us. Mother had just laughed and told us to play with our new toys without fighting.

Diana gasped, thanking us as she opened her new doll. I had seen it in a window shop out in town, and knew she would love it.

I bought all of their gifts, including the ones that were labeled from their father. I got him a new set of arrows for the hunts he went on.

"Thank you, Eve," he smiled as he placed the box to the side. He pulled me closer to his side, his lips brushing my ear. "You'll get your present tonight. I'm giving you the best sex of your life."

I didn't let the disappointment show on my face. I faked a smile and pulled away from him. I had gone out of my way for him. I had bought his gifts for all his brothers, his sister, even his mother and taken no credit for it. And that was the best he could do for me?

A shriek from my daughter pulled me out of my self pity. I looked down to see Gideon slamming her doll against the floor.

"Gideon!" I snapped, getting to my feet and rushing over to them.

    Elio was right behind me. I took the doll from Gideon's grip, checking for damage before handing it back to a sobbing Diana.

Elio grabbed Gideon by the wrist, yanking the boy to his feet. He raised his hand to our son, and I immediately cried out, grabbing Gideon's shoulders and pushing him behind me.

"Don't touch him!" I snapped at Elio. "What he did was wrong, but do not hurt him."

"You're gonna tell me how to parent my kids?" he demanded.

"They're more mine than they are yours," I glared. "I'm the one that's raised them. I'm the one that takes care of them."

  His open palm hitting my cheek was something I was used to. I barely registered the pain anymore. But doing it in front of the kids was something he rarely did.

  I carefully pushed Gideon away from me, towards his sister. If it weren't for my faebane wedding ring, I would've gotten in their heads and told them to leave the room. If it weren't for the faebane wedding ring, I would've crushed my husband's mind for raising a hand to our son.

"You three wouldn't last a day without me," he sneered. "I'm the one providing for this family. I'm the one—"

"I don't want to fight, Elio," I insisted. "Please, I just didn't want you to hurt our son."

His fist made contact with my eye, and I cried out, my hands flying to my face. I could hear both children crying, and I did my best to tune it out.