𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

𝔭𝔞𝔯𝔱 2: 𝔞𝔫 𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔞𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔡 𝔪𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔞𝔤𝔢

age: 17

Elio wasn't unattractive. In fact, he was quite handsome. He gave me a shy smile as I approached him, my father leading me forward.

My dress was a maroon velvet with long flared sleeves. I had to hold up the extra fabric so I didn't trip. There were golden designs embroidered across my waist.

"Goodbye, my sweet Eve," my father said to me. I blinked back tears as he pressed a kiss to my cheek.

"Goodbye, Father," I said quietly, unable to bring myself to anger as I realized it would be a long time before I saw him again.

He winnowed away, and I was left with this new family. Beron, his wife Marzia, his daughter, and his three sons. The middle son was watching me nervously.

"Welcome to the family, Evelina," Marzia said sweetly, approaching me.

She pressed a kiss to my cheek and hugged me in welcome. I hugged her back. Maybe I would at least have one person to trust here.

"The wedding is in two days," she announced, holding my hand in hers. "Elio?" Elio stepped forward. I forced myself to smile at the older male.

He had brown hair that was kept short, unlike his brothers who grew their red hair out. His amber eyes were flitting around the room nervously.

After a deep breath, he presented me with a ring. A silver band with a small diamond on top. I let him slide it onto my left ring finger.

"Thank you," I said quietly, though I couldn't meet his eyes as I curtsied before him.

"You are the put the wings away," Beron announced to me. Marzia put a hand on my shoulder as her husband's attention was turned to me. "Always."

"Always?" I demanded. They all turned to me as though no one had ever questioned the male before.

"Always," he repeated. "The people of my court cannot know you're a lesser fae."

"I'm not a lesser fae. I'm only half Illyrian," I insisted.

Cassian always told me not to be ashamed of my heritage. Though, Azriel bore enough shame for all of us.

"Do not talk back," he warned. "I also expect you to refrain from using your powers. In our court, it is not acceptable for females to use magic."

"That's ridi—"

"Marzia, show her to her room," he cut me off tonighy. "I don't want to deal with this tonight."

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

Marzia brushed my hair as I stared at myself in the mirror. I fidgeted with the diamond necklace Elio had given me.

"It'll be okay, darling," she promised me.

"I wish my mother were here," I said quietly.

My family was not allowed at the wedding. My father was too busy and he believed my mother, brother, and friends would die trying to stop the wedding.

"I know, my dear," she cooed, stroking my hair. "Elio is not like his father. He's gentle and kind. I know you do not love him, but he won't be cruel to you."

"Can I have some time to myself?" I wondered.

She nodded her pretty head, kissing my cheek before leaving the room.

      I sighed, closing my eyes and reaching out. I found my brother's mind and called to him. Because of the distance, he was the only one I could still speak to. Since we shared the same skills, distance and time did not matter. I brushed the claws of my power against his shield, and it opened.

"Rhys."

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I'm about to get married."

"I wish I was there, Eve."

"Me too."

"Show me your dress."

I smiled slightly, sending him a picture of me in my wedding dress.

"You look beautiful, Eve."

"Thank you."

"I'm so proud of you. So is Mother. And we are so sorry."

"Rhysie, I won't be able to talk to you that often," I realized. "Beron doesn't believe it proper for females to use magic. We'll have to communicate sparingly so he doesn't sense it."

"If Father wasn't the High Lord and couldn't command me otherwise, I would kill Beron and anyone else who was forcing you to be married."

"I know."

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  

Walking down the aisle was strange and awkward. I knew nobody in attendance other than Elio's family. Speaking of Elio, he seemed just as uncomfortable as I felt.

I couldn't lie, the wedding itself was beautiful. We were in the front of the manor, the aisle and seating between rows of trees. The trees were gorgeous, filled with leaves of red, orange, yellow, and gold.

The Priestess at the end of the aisle was smiling at me. I just wished my parents were here. Or at least my brother.

I finally made it to the end of the aisle and stood next to Elio. He smiled at me awkwardly. He looked handsome in his golden suit.

The night went by in a blur.

The Priestess said some words that I blocked out, then Elio was sliding a ring onto my finger. I did the same for him.

He kissed me when we were told to, and I kissed back. We signed a marriage certificate. We danced for the guests.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

I sat on the large bed, still in my gorgeous, golden wedding gown. Elio let out a deep sigh as he sat beside me.

The sheets of the bed were an evergreen with gold leaves embroidered into them. There were large windows stretching up and down the whole wall, giving an excellent view of the forest. The leaves of the trees were all orange, red, and yellow. There was a velvet maroon loveseat in the corner of the room.

I didn't want to admit it, but I was scared. I'd never been with a male before. Though, if I had been, I wouldn't have been married off.

"We don't have to do anything," he promised. "I know it's strange. We barely know each other. And I'm a lot older than you."

"I don't think I'm ready," I said quietly, staring at my lap.

"That's okay," he assured, placing a hand on my shoulder. "I will never force you, Evelina."

A wave of relief washed over me. I nodded, blinking back tears.

"Thank you," I said with a soft smile.

I knew it would have to happen eventually. We would need to have children. But I wasn't ready.

"There are clothes for you in the closet," he informed me. I nodded, standing up and smoothing down my dress.

When I reached the closet, I realized that an entire side was dedicated to me. There were gorgeous gowns, along with some night clothes. I opened a drawer to find underthings, tights, and corsets. There were shoes on a shelf.

I began stripping out of my wedding gown and the corset and tights beneath it. I grabbed a pretty orange nightgown and slipped it on. It wasn't too revealing.

When I got back to the bedroom, I got beneath the sheets, and Elio went to change. I turned to face the other way, trying to find sleep quickly.