23. Second Best

'Come, sweet Prince. Let's give Her Grace some peace.' The handmaiden requested taking aegon away. he continued to scream.

"No no give him back to me," regina reached out for him. "Come here my sweet boy!" Regina coed. Aegon mumbled in her arms. "You are so tired honey," she kissed his little head. "You will feel better when you go to sleep," regina assured as she lay him in his crib.

' Did you enjoy the hunt, Your Grace?' Otto asked his sister. Regina hushed him nodding to aegon settling down.

'It was a bore." Regina admitted honestly. Otto chuckled. Of course regina would not care for tradition.

'How fared my nephew? All tired out?'

'The ladies Lannister and Redwyne were quite taken with him.' Regina remarked. "I wanted them to stop touching my baby."

'Of course they were taken with him and wanted him close. He's the future of the realm."otto declared and regina hushed him leading him away from aegons cribs. "Well, you yourself witnessed the scale of the celebration, how it's united the men. When you bore the King a son, you ended 15 years of uncertainty and doubt. Aegon, like his namesake, was born to rule the Seven Kingdoms. If Viserys were to name him heir, the realm would fete him for it.' Otto remarked but reginas gaze shifted to the mirror her relfdction staring back at her a perfect mirrored image. 'And does this not please you? Do you not want your son to be King?'

'I dont know what I want." Regina admitted.

'You mustn't ignore the certain truth that if Rhaenyra were to step over Aegon to ascend the throne, the realm would tear itself apart.' Otto declared and regina saw it. Saw the shift in the mirror. Saw her nodding along. She mirror mouthed I did warn you.

'They all swore obeisance to her, our house among them.' regina stammered out. Was she being foolish and naïve? Was this really going to happen? The end of her family her child... she didn't wanna believe it but her brother was one of the smartest people she knew

'That was before Aegon.' Otto reminded her.

'Rhaenyra could be a good queen.' Regina reminded them both.

'It wouldn't matter if she were Jaehaerys himself born again. Rhaenyra is a woman.'

'What of my son? Would you have me raise a man to steal his own sister's birthright?' Regina countered looking between her brother in the mirror. The mirror at her arms crossed over just nodding along. Yes she hissed back. Otto swatted at the air, thinking it was a fly.

'It is Aegon that's being robbed. He's the firstborn son of the King. To deny that he is heir to the throne is to assail the laws of gods and men. The road ahead is uncertain, but the end is clear. Aegon will be king. You must guide Viserys towards reason. He'll never find it on his own.' Otto remarked heading out.

Regina looked to aegon sound asleep.

'How are you feeling, my love?" Regina questioned as he felt the effects from his consumption hitting him hard. But he found the strength to smile and reach out a hand towards his beloved wife.

'The gods have punished me for my indulgences my beloved." Viserys admitted. She smiled down at their fingers intertwined. She never wanted to have to worry about the future because she wanted this forever.

'I was hoping we might discuss something.'

'Rhaenyra?' Viserys questioned 'I do not think she enjoyed Jason Lannister's company. She is cross.' no no that was not what she wanted to discuss. She wanted to discuss the future her future. Aegons future.

'I warned you that she would be.'

'Rhaenyra has come of age. She must needs marry a high lord who will honor her, defend her, and serve her as king consort. Her wishes in this matter are irrelevant.'