004 - Brother

TW ⚠️: Thoughts of death.

~

A few weeks after the incident, it indeed only got worse. Well, they weren't original with the comments, those stayed the same, but it also removed my appetite, and still sleep.

And now it was Greenie Day, again. My hopes for it to be a girl were too bad. I tried to convince myself the chance it would be a girl was very small, but it didn't help much. That's how desperate I was for a girl.

Once the alarm blared through the Glade, I rushed to get there first. Clint and Newt stood on both sides of me. Soon there was a whole crowd around the Box. Alby pushed through it with Glader slang leaving his mouth. Newt took it as a sign to help the leader open the Box the moment the alarm stopped. Full of anxiety I watched Alby jump in.

"What do you see?"

"I bet they klunked their pants!"

"No way back!"

I sighed and didn't listen to their usual comments. They weren't creative and used the same ones every time.

"Welcome to the Glade, Greenie." Alby climbed out of the Box and reached his hand out to the Greenie. I couldn't see him yet, everyone moved in front of me. 

With a sound, the Greenie got dropped on the floor. I heard laughs and more screams as I tried to get a good look at the kid.

"Valerie?" An unfamiliar voice shouted. I froze right in my place, just like everyone else. 

Someone gave me a push toward the Greenie, making the others move away. I stood there with my mouth half open, having no idea what was going on and why the Greenie called out my name.

His green eyes met mine. And for the first time that day, I saw his face. He had the exact same hair color as mine; orange. Muscles just as most of the boys covered his arms, with a strong chest. He was taller than me, like every other Glader.

I furrowed my eyebrows slowly. Something was familiar, yet I couldn't tell what it was. It lit my heart slightly up, it made me feel different.

Then Alby jumped in between the two of us, almost grabbing the Greenie by the shirt. "Who are you and how do you know her?"

His face broke. "She's my sister."

~

"So you're saying you sent yourself in the maze to see your sister..." Alby walked around the Med Hut frustratedly. Apparently, the Greenie had a wound from the Box, according to him telling us he fell, so he had to be treated. "Since she wasn't even supposed to be here?!"

I leaned my head on my hand and a wall, frowning too. I wished I remembered something about the kid too, but I couldn't. And it was strange... so strange. I wasn't supposed to be here?! In what context?

"Yes!" He almost threw his hands in the air. "Come on, Val. Tell me you remember me. Please."

"I..."
I had no idea what to say. I didn't want to hurt anyone by saying 'no'. And I did know a name. "Since the moment I came up in the Box, I remembered two names. Valerie and Luke. Now you show up and say you're my brother. Are you Luke?"

He remained silent for a few seconds, eyes turning softer. His tense shoulders dropped and his mouth opened slightly. "Yes," A long pause. Glances between Alby, Clint, Jeff, and Newt were shared. "I'm Luke."

Before I could reply, Newt cleared his throat. "The picture." The blonde spoke.

"What picture?" Alby tensed up, immediately desperate to know everything. His look could shoot daggers at anyone. "Hm?"