029 - A Kid

"Wake up." I shook Gally's shoulders. He ended up with his head on my stomach and both arms wrapped around me. His eyes were closed. Breaths super steady. "Gallyyy."

It was Greenie Day. And I never lost my hopes for a girl. Plus, it was quite fun to see them for the first time.

"Potato, wake up." A slap on the back of his head. "Wake u-."

"I'm awake." He announced. "The Greenie won't arrive before that alarm goes off, Ginger. So don't rush yourself."

I groaned and pulled him face-to-face with me. "Okay, then."

He smiled and rolled his arm around my torso again, happily closing his eyes. I smiled at that, too, but soon got impatient.

And then, finally, after a few more minutes, the alarm went off. I jumped straight out of bed, put on clothes, and ran over to the Box before Gally even managed to stretch.

Later, everyone else surrounded around the cage, which seemed to come to a stop.

Newt stood behind me and whispered, "Your turn for the Tour. Wanna get them out of there, too?"

I just nodded. The hole opened automatically, and Newt and Alby helped open the Box under that. I jumped in, wincing slightly at my leg. The ridiculous shouts from the boys already started, but I ignored them and wanted to do my best to welcome this Greenie the nicest I could.

They sat there, in the corner of the Box. Knees pulled up to the chest, shoulders shaking, and breaths heavy.

And pants wet.

"Hey." I bent down and put a hand on their knee. It caused them to flinch, but then, slowly, they looked up.

A pair of big, watery brown eyes met mine. I recognized them as a boy, with dark curls all over his head. Tears ran down his chubby cheeks and wow, he didn't seem older than thirteen.

I did not expect that. Swallowing deeply, I forced a smile. "Hey." I said again. "You're safe now."

Jesus, Val. Of course he wasn't safe! But I had no idea what else to say.

"Wanna get out of here?" I talked quietly, not wanting to make him flinch again.

A hesitant nod. Then, "W-where am I?"

"I'll explain in a minute, yeah?" I suggested softly. "First we'll get out."

I smiled at him and took the rope. A loop was on the end, where I put my foot on. A few other Gladers pulled me up, next was the kid.

"It's a kid!"

"He klunked his pants!"

More shouts followed. Gally stared at the boy too, blankly. At least he didn't shout, because the boy only shrunk more and more by the second.

"Come on." I put a hand on his back, leading him away from the guys. "It's okay. It'll just last for a second. Most of them are very nice, don't worry."

The kid looked so upset. So broken with those tears, that I promised myself to make him have the best life any Glader could imagine having. He didn't deserve to be put in here with that age. He was so, so scared, too.

Another stutter. "M-most of them?"

"You'll be okay." I assured again, smiling warmly. "How about we get you some clean clothes?"

He nodded. Looked down, face red of shame. "Sorry."

"Don't worry." I kept talking soft. "We were all scared. It's fine, really."

I stole some clothes out of the Homestead and told the kid to shower and change. He obeyed fast, not talking much. It didn't even take ten minutes for him to come back all fresh and clean, yet he had tear stains, bloodshot eyes, and pouted lips.