019 - Fight

Two days after the unpleasant hot days in the Glade, the temperature had lowered. Especially at night it was cold, though through the days it was doable. Still hot, but not extreme.

I had spent most of my time with Newt and sometimes Alby, just testing how it was to be Third-in-command. Not so hard, after all. Just keep order, as Newt said.

And now I tried to steal a late night snack with Ben and Minho, but Frypan caught us. Eventually it turned into a late night snack for all of us, so there we sat, around the small, round kitchen table, nibbling on cookies Fry baked earlier.

"This is... the bomb, Fry. Seriously." Ben tucked another cookie in his mouth. "Does mean I'll have to run some extra miles, but it's worth it."

Apparently Ben found he would turn fat from just a few cookies?

"Yep. Me too."

Oh, and Minho too.

"Ah, I'm already not the skinniest." Frypan shrugged. "But, I'll try to make some extra steps."

Extra steps?

I had the feeling they all stared at me now, as if I had to say something similar to their statements. "Is it necessary to lose weight after eating a few cookies?" I raised an eyebrow. "Can we only eat cookies after running a few miles? As a happy treat after hard work?"

"Does feel like that."

"Yeah, but it shouldn't. I get it, being fat or whatever might not be healthy, but can we just enjoy our food here and not talk about how it'll affect later?"

"You have a point." Frypan admitted.

"A very good point, I know." I nodded. "Before you know it the people that do enjoy their food normally—."

"I enjoy my food."

"I don't care right now, Minho. Let me finish." I sighed. "But if we're gonna say that we need to lose weight after eating, before you know it it'll cause eating problems for other people, you know? That's my opinion, at least."

Impressed, Frypan clapped his hands and Ben whooped a cheer. "You spoke. And it's true."

Blushing slightly, I nodded. "I hope."

"Damn, man. Should've let you be a Runner." Minho joked, though it wasn't hard to tell he was slightly serious about it after all. 

"But what I said has nothing to do with—."

"Running?" Minho finished. "It's not just physically running in the maze. You need good memory. To be brave, of course. Not just the physical stuff. Be ready to exhaust yourself everyday. It's not just a simple job anyone can do, so that's why no one can turn into one fast."

"I'll stick with cooking, thank you." Frypan muttered. "Taking about cooking, the cookies are all eaten. Get out of my kitchen now."

"Ah, come on!" Ben threw his head back.

"Out!" He pointed at the door, still smiling, though. Sighing, the two Runners rushed away as I slowly made my way to the door too, only to get interrupted by the Cook.

He twisted me around, embracing me into a tight, yet warm hug. Surprised and confused, I frowned, nervously hugging him back.

"You okay, Fry?" I bit my lip.

"It hurts, you know." He started. "Seeing you like this."

"Like this? What-."

"I know it, you're happy, blah, blah, blah. And you do seem happy, but not always. Your eyes-."