026 - Heartbeats and Butterflies

Did I learn from my mistakes of sitting by the lake on my own in the middle of the night?

Definitely not.

Did I care?

Nope.

I just sat there, staring at the water, which was moving in a relaxed way, caused by the breeze. Stains of tears were printed on my cheeks. My throat hurt from sobbing. I had my notebook by my side, but couldn't write any words. I felt empty. Nothing made sense anymore.

Panic rose in my chest the second I heard a branch cracking. My mind went to the Builders right away, and it made me feel a fright I had never felt before. But, it wasn't them. Well, technically it was a Builder, but not— yeah. It was Gally, anyway.

"Leave." I told him again, my voice hoarse and weak. "Just leave."

"I'll leave once I've apologized." He decided sternly, talking with the confidence he always had.

I admired that strength of him. He never seemed to mind what other people thought of him. He was confident and wouldn't let someone hurt him easily. When he spoke he moved his hands in a way I could only stare at him more. He knew exactly when to act cold or nice. He knew in what tones to speak and how to impress people with that. Me, mostly.

"An apology won't turn back time and it won't make me forgive you." I shot back.

He liften an eyebrow. I could barely see it in the dark, but after sitting there for a while, my eyes got kind of used to it. "We'll see about that."

Without permission, he sat down next to me, staring at the lake too.

"Hurry before I... I- I push your head... underwater." I threatened weakly.

He laughed. "You're kind of funny when you're angry."

"I'm about to be hilarious."

He smiled again, though it soon faded. "Look, Val. What I said today, I-."

"It's fine." I said quickly, but then I frowned and crossed my arms. "Actually, it's not fine. It's anything but fine. You broke my heart. Literally!"

A tiny smile. "I promise I won't do it again. But, just let me explain, yeah?"

"Don't tell me you were talking about Josephine."

"I wasn't." He said. "I do think you're a piece of shit."

Another crack in my heart. "Oh."

"I'm kidding."

I swung my elbow through the air and hit him right in the crotch with it.

He groaned, bending down and groaning even more. "Did you really have to do that?"

I scoffed. "I bet the pain you're going through right now is way less than the pain I'm feeling in my stomach every damn second for a few days! Anyway. You gonna explain or what?"

"Yeah." He bit his lip and sat straight up again. "You're right."

"Of course I am."

"Yep."

"About what am I right, though?"

An offended glare.

"I can't help it that all I say is facts!"

He sighed, smiling as he looked away, yet I noticed. "You're right about how I was talking about Josephine."