049 - Dangers Explained

Ava Paige stood in front of her colleagues, a pleasant smile stuck on her face. The rest of them sat at a round table, watching their boss carefully.

"I think we can say this was a great success." She started. "So I will welcome you to the summary of what happened and why we had to... add certain things to the trial. Starting with..."

She clicked a button. On the big screen behind her appeared a picture of a certain red-haired girl. She was smiling brightly on the picture, her eyes twinkling.

"This here," Ava pointed at the girl. "Is not a subject."

Everyone in the room was already aware of that.

"And yet she still got sent into the maze because our two favorites, Thomas and Teresa, decided that would a good idea. So they could all be together. But we never agreed to do that. They sneaked her up in the Box." She explained. "Of course, we couldn't let her ruin the trials as the only girl. Since soon we started to notice change in the boys their behavior."

She showed a few videos of the Glade.

"So, we tried to get rid of her. But unnoticed. We let the boys do their thing, and started to see how her brain pattern changed. It was going down, until we sent her brother up. The one who was supposed to go a few months earlier in the first place, but then as I said, Thomas and Teresa interfered."

A pause. Everyone was listening attentively. Some rubbed their chins, others nodded.

"She got happier, which was not good." Ava smiled again. "We used one of our newest techniques and controlled his brain. The boy went into the maze, and she was supposed to go after him, but she didn't." Another pause. "Inside the maze was a Griever waiting for her. To kill her. But since she didn't go into the maze, we changed plans fast and let the brother get stung."

She clicked to the pictures of Luke's banishment.

"Which made her attempt to kill herself not even two days later. But she survived." Ava sighed. "After that it took us a long time to continue with the job to get rid of her, until one night. At their well-known bonfires."

A picture of Gally.

"This boy right here used to make drinks for them. We knew the ingredients, and added a little... drug in it. Because we had heard a few boys discussing their plan to fight her in a ring the day before. She and the boys got drugged and she beaten up, too, but nothing too bad happened. She didn't die. But we doubted she would at that point."

She exhaled deeply again. Took a breath before continuing.

"At the end, we got the boy stung. Let him accomplish our goal of killing her. And he did. Unfortunately things didn't end well for the boy himself, but I can say it was worth it."

That was it. All the mysteries unveiled. All the dangers explained.

The girl with no subject name, but she did have a title.

The one that was never supposed to live.