040 - Nice Welcoming

We survived the night.

Thomas and Minho wrapped their arms around Alby's neck, still struggling, but able to walk. I on purpose chose to let Minho help me walk in the same way as Alby, and not Thomas, because then he would really get killed by Gally.

So, there they stood. Newt, Zart, Chuck, and Gally. The rest probably lost hope the minute Thomas and I disappeared. My side wasn't the worst, as Thomas said. The wound wasn't very deep and the blood had stopped by now, though I was still in a horrible amount of pain, constantly clenching my jaw to avoid any winces of coming out.

One step out of the maze and a pair of arms wrapped around me so tight I could barely breath. But I hugged Gally back, closing my eyes at the comfortable feeling, especially after such a cold, and terrifying night.

He lay his hand on the back of my head, making sure I was even closer to him. I expected him to be three things; angry, happy, and proud. Because after all I did survive a whole night in the maze.

The others were gathering around Alby, but Gally didn't give me the chance to join them. He already grabbed my wrist and started dragging me to his hut, his face blank and eyes staring forward.

I didn't say anything. I didn't know what, because I wasn't sorry about going into the maze. Or for being close to Thomas. He was a nice friend, actually.

Then Gally stopped, closed the door behind him, and looked down at me. I looked up, not scared, because why would I be? Though I didn't tell him about my side yet.

"You do understand that I'm pissed, right?" He started, talking slow but steady.

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Very pissed." He added. "What were you thinking?"

"What was I thinking when?"
I had lots of thoughts. Could I help it!

A muscle in his face twitched. "When you ran in there. Were you trying to get yourself killed?"

"What? No." I blinked a few times. "I wanted to make a difference. Proof I could do it."

His eyes sharpened even more, and he was still hovering over me. I stared straight back. "Proof you could do it? You have a limp. If you want to be a Runner you have to be able to run properly."

That shuckin' hurt, jeez.

"Excuse me?" I tilted my head.

"You cannot just go around and randomly run into the maze and expect you'll be a Runner. Or think that it won't cause any problems." He was raising his voice. Not good.

"I never expected or thought that."

I kind of did.

"Also, I think I can make those decisions for myself perfectly. Where's the 'Wow, Ginger. You survived a night in the maze. I'm so proud of you. Can you tell me what happened?' But no, we're arguing."

His jaw tightened. "You broke the one rule we have. You made me worried as hell. I thought you would die! Have you had any idea how horrible this night has been?"

"I think I do have an idea." I narrowed my eyes. "Especially because I saw these giant creatures trying to kill me!"

"You don't get how things went after you and that kid ran in there." He was breathing heavier. "What kind of comments were thrown. What-."

"You're being unreasonable." I said blankly. "You don't even get the actual reason I went in there. Of course I know I can't run! I'm not that dumb. But hey, I survived. With Thomas' help. And really Gally, no offense, but so far I don't see any reasons to hate him."

He tensed up. "I never said you should hate him. All I said was, don't go anywhere with him on your own. And what did you do? You ran into the shuck maze with him."

"Minho was there too." I furrowed my eyebrows, feeling myself get hit with some anger too. He didn't even seem worried about my health. Not that he had to be, but it would've been nice.

His face nearly grew red. "So what? Minho will save the day? So many things could've happened!"

"But they didn't happen." I crossed my arms. "Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to go check out on the others."

"No."

I balled my fists, even though I was well aware I would never be able to fight him. "Excuse you?"

"You put yourself into danger in a way that sometimes it makes me wonder what the hell is going on through your mind, Valerie!" He was close to yelling. Cheeks red, fists clenched, too.

And I felt guilty for being scared of him, for the first time.

He moved closer. "What if you got stung, hm? Then what was I supposed to do? Live further? Without you?"

"Nothing happened. You won't have to worry about that." I assured, not talking very nicely either.

He palmed his face. "You don't get it."

"If this is how you're acting straight after I come back, I would rather hang out with Thomas." I shot back. 

Then I got pinned against the wall.

Sadly not how in a way I would've imagined it.

He was squeezing both of my wrists, hard. But something was wrong. It was not Gally. Well, physically it was but not— yeah.

His eyes were turning dark. Almost black. Unfocusing and focusing at me. His jaw tighter than ever, lips pressed in one line. He was raging, his chest heaving up and down fast.

I froze, purely frightened. Stared at him, unable to move. Was it because he got stung earlier?

He squeezed my wrists harder, eyes fading away more by the second. "Gally, I-." I cut myself off by wincing. He was bruising my wrists, squinting his eyes at me.

I got tears in mine from both fright and pain. Worry crashed into me, too. I now noticed he had dark bags surrounding his eyes. Thin cheekbones, and he had been biting his nails.

What. Had. I. Done.

"Just let go, alright?" My voice came out shaky. Maybe it was even worse because this wasn't the Gally I knew. I was scared of what the hell was happening to him.

But he didn't let go. He was full of anger, his eyes boring through mine. I tried to push him away, but it didn't faze him in the slightest.

"Gally!" I shouted. Tears begged to drop.

Then he blinked. His grip loosened. And he blinked a few more times, his face washing over with confusion.

He looked down to see himself holding my wrists to the wall tightly. He stuck his leg between my legs so I had no chance of escaping. Then he look up again, meeting my eyes. His were grayish-blue again, but full of worry.

We stood there in silence for a second, both our breaths heavy. Until he abruptly let go of me, taking multiple steps back. Realization had hit him.

"Sorry." He said, clearing his throat. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay." I hid my hurting wrists behind my back. "Not your fault."

He rubbed his forehead and started to wander around the hut. "I- shuck. I am so sorry, Valerie. I didn't mean to-."

"Please, just... stop apologizing." I forced the tears to leave.

It couldn't have been his fault. It must've been the Creators or whatever. Or because he got stung before? I had no idea, but whatever happened wasn't him. He looked like Ben and Luke for a split second—especially his behavior—but somehow it was different, too.

"I'll..." I swallowed. "I'll go to the Med Hut now."

I was already reaching out for the handle when he asked, "Why?"

How dumb could he have been? No offense.

I stared at his guilty face. "I've got a shuck hole in my side, Gally. Abrasions? That too." A pause. "See ya."

I didn't mean to snap at him or anything, but come on!