025 - Betrayal

Spending two days in the Slammer were the most loneliest days I had in a few weeks. No one came to talk with me, and I didn't know why.

Well, Newt was angry, and Ben and Minho were busy in the maze (that's what she said).

Alby and Frypan gave me food. Just some bread and a cup of soup. Most of the time Fry made a chat with me, but Alby was just being himself; grumpy and not in the mood for happy chats.

But Gally? He didn't even bother to come and see me. Not that I wanted to force him to, but it would've been nice, you know?

And the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Most of the time, I was the first one to come and see him. I talked to him a lot. I ranted to him. Told him my problems. And he didn't.

Or he just didn't have any problems.

But what about the time we cuddled? I thought. Then it hit me. I asked him to stay. He felt overwhelmed and pressured to say yes, since I had a nightmare and needed 'support'. So he said yes. And then he also added he barely fit in my bed, which was a clear hint to 'I don't want this'.

Oh, god. Oh, god. Oh, god.

But that morning... We almost kissed, I wouldn't deny that. I didn't want to act like the girl that was super oblivious. I had been sure he liked me, no matter matter if he saw me as a friend or more, because I was just sure. So sure.

They don't care about you, Valerie! No one cares about you. I had to stop myself from covering my ears. Yet the words had a point. It shouldn't have surprised me that much finding out Gally didn't really like me.

Because who would like a depressed, broken girl with a limp, who can't even protect herself properly?

"Hey." Alby's deep voice made me jump. He looked through the bamboo-made fence of the Slammer. The thing wasn't that big. Different shaped stones surrounded me, stuck together with cement... or clay, whatever it was. The ground was hard sand, not so comfortable to sit on for two days.

"Ready to get out?" He asked.

"God, yes." I smiled in relief, immediately jumping out the jail, excited to see everyone again. Even Gally. Nothing stopped my crush on him, which seemed to turn bigger everyday. And maybe I could pay attention and see if he maybe did see me as a friend, instead of just stare at him all the time.

Everyone was already having dinner. I noticed Gally sitting with Ben and Winston across from him again. Josephine was in Ben's arms. Gally's back was turned to me as I walked over to them, wanting to say hello before even grabbing my food.

Once I came closer, I could exactly hear what they said.

And I wished I didn't.

"Yeah." Gally looked down at his food. "She's a piece of shit."

I froze.

Ben was about to reply, but his mouth stayed open, no words coming out as his eyes took in my presence. "Gally?" He warned. He never stopped staring.

"I don't like her, but only take care of her because-."

"Gally." Ben repeated.

My heart sunk in my chest. I was right. He didn't even like me.

"Stop interrupting me, jeez." He sighed. "As I said-."

"Gally." Ben's voice changed tone so much the boy fell silent and slowly followed the Runner's eyes, soon noticing me.

"Val." He breathed. "I-."

There was an apology. But it came into my ears blurred. I noticed the tears standing in my eyes when I look down at the ground, still frozen in my place.

Why did I ever even think he cared about me? Newt ignored me that easily, even after all those months. It wasn't supposed to shock me Gally said this either. But it hurt. It came as a shot in the heart.

And my fear came back. There was a reason I had that fear. The fear of someone not loving me back. Because now, after I heard what Gally said behind my back, I realized a person like him, or just any person, would never love me back as much as I loved them.

"Valerie!" Ben shouted when I slowly took steps back, nearly stumbling over my own ankles.

This was that sort of moment where I couldn't tell if I was being dramatic or not.

Now you're being dramatic, Val. His words. Of course.

Then I rushed away, my leg aching and pinching with every hard step I took. I slammed the door of my hut closed behind me, breaking down in tears on my bed.

I was already sobbing when his voice came from behind. "Val, can we please talk?"

"Leave—." A sob. "— me alone."

"Please." Gally added. "Look, I-."

"Leave!" I cried. "And don't come in!" My shoulders were shaking and I felt weak. So weak. It felt like I was the victim but being dramatic at once.

And yet I heard the door slowly open.

"I told you not to come in!" My face was still buried in a pillow as I yelled at him, tears wetting the material. "Leave me alone!"

Being on my period and upset at once, was not a good combination.

How much longer did I have to repeat I didn't want to be alone anymore? That I didn't want to fight for my place? Or to never be sure if someone even liked me? Because Gally apparently didn't and now he was being stupid and trying to apologize and—

"Don't touch me." I threatened once he tried. "I don't want you to hold me."

"Valerie, I-."

"Shut up and leave!" I shot straight up, staring at him with bloodshot eyes before I pushed him in the chest.

"I didn't mean t-."

I balled my fist and hit his chest with it. And damn, that hurt my hand: His chest was like stone. Yet I repeated it. "Shut up, shut up, shut up, sh-."

"Valerie, you're hurting yourself." He spoke, clearly not affected by me.

I grunted and punched again, my knuckles hurting as if they got hit by a rock. "Leave." Another punch. It was nice to get my anger out. Because that's what my sadness turned into.

It was all over my body, made my ears fuzzy and sight slightly blurred again. "Go!"

He grabbed my hurtful fist. "Please, stop. Valerie."

I went on with the other one, wincing and grunting at once. And he took that one too. He held both of my fists strong enough that I couldn't swing them again.

"Let me go." More tears. "Gally, let me go."

"Don't hurt yourself like this. Please, Val." He ordered. He said it as if he didn't even care or bother to hide what he said earlier. As if he didn't bother that I heard it.

"Let. Go." I pulled away roughly and got up from my bed.

"Val, wait. I-."

But I already walked away, not wanting to forgive him this easily. Because I always forgave people too easily.