Being First

Chapter 12

Arcelia

"Come on angel, I won't let him hurt you." He crooned and I still stood there, unyielding.

We were at the front of the hardware store. Just as Experiment Varian had gotten near the door I had frozen and wouldn't move.

"That's not my name." I replied, looking at him. He sighed once again, running a hand through his hair.

"We can't go anywhere with these things on. They could be tracking us with them." He explained but that didn't convince me in the slightest.

Suddenly the door opened, a bell ringing as it did, and a man came out. I froze, wanting to dart away. But where would I go?

"Either come in or leave." He grunted, looking directly at Experiment Varian, not noticing me.

"We're going in." He replied calmly before his hand grabbed mine and pulled me to him. I tried struggling but it was pointless.

"What do you want?" The man asked, sounding unfriendly. My eyes darted towards the door but Experiment Varian pulled me to his side.

"A little courtesy to start off." Varian replied and I tensed at the harsh whip in his voice.

"There isn't courtesy anymore boy. Tell me what you want or get the hell out now." The man replied before grabbing a towel and spitting in it. I just watch, terrified and fascinated by their tones.

Varian's jaw was clenched and I saw he wanted to argue more, but he studied my frightened face before letting out a sigh. "We need these taken off." He started before gritting his teeth. When it was silent for a few moments, Varian sighed.

"Please." He forced out.

The man looked amused by the 'please' but he came closer, looking at the shocker around Varian's neck. He stared at it before moving to his desk and sitting there, not acknowledging us.

"So?" Varian asked impatiently, annoyance laced into his voice.

The man rubbed his jaw before shaking his head. "No." was all he gave us.

"Why not?" Varian snapped, walking over to the man. I just stood there, still watching.

Lab coats were neutral. They never were angry with experiments, only neutral. Rarely, they would let excitement slip through when something new was discovered. It was odd seeing them both openly show vivid emotions without care, when I'd spent most of my life with people who were always indifferent.

"Because I know exactly what those damn things are. I'm not going to get killed for helping you test subjects." He said, spitting in the towel once again.

"They won't kill you if they don't know it was you." Varian said, trying to keep calm again.

"No? How do I know she won’t tell them?" He asked casually and both pairs of eyes turned to me. I stilled, but stared back.

"She won't tell. She-" Varian started but the man interrupted.

"I'm not kept in the dark boy. If you watch any television you’ll know who she is." He said, his eyes on mine still.

"I'm on television?" I asked, tilting my head. I knew what television was because it was one of the Forbidden Items. We weren't allowed near it because they didn't want to risk our intelligence. Except, He’d let me watch the television occasionally with Him, but I’d never seen myself on it. I knew I was successful, but why would they broadcast it to the world? What plans do they have for me?