Left or Right

Chapter 20

I found myself waking up rather alert and glancing around the dark alley Varian had chosen for us to spend the night resting in. It was isolate except for Varian and I, minus the squeaking mice that remained hidden out of sight.

I glanced at Varian, who looked to be peacefully asleep. It was odd to not see his lovely blue eyes staring at me with a mixture of emotions, the affection there constantly. His chest fell and rose at a stable speed, his mouth parted with light snores coming through. I planned to allow him to remain at peace, but then I heard another cluster of noises.

I crawled over to Varian, making sure I was as silent as the hidden mice. I hesitated before shaking Varian lightly, cringing in expectation for him to lash out like he had the first time we met. But he only mumbled and turned on his side, reaching out blindly only to press closer to my leg.

"Varian, wake up," I whispered, shaking him once more, but no harder than the first time. I didn't want to shake him too hard in the fear that he might become angry at me once again.

Varian did nothing but sigh, and I shivered as his nose grazed my leg. Before I could react further, I heard a series of incoherent voices close by.

Panic shot through me and I shook Varian once again, wanting him to get rid of the panic. I shook him again, this time harder.

"Wake up Ducky, please?" I pleaded, letting a strand of desperation leak through. I didn't want to end up lifeless as the small boy had.

Varian's eyes shot open, his initial reaction being confusion. His eyes found mine and they softened, but held worry when he saw the panic in my own eyes.

"What's wrong angel?" he asked, sitting up, and I pressed my finger to his lips to prevent him from making too much noise.

"There's someone here. They woke me up," I explained, watching his eyes widen before they hardened.

"Stay here," he instructed, standing up and moving as agile as a natural born experiment might.

I remained where I was, watching for some sort of signal from Varian. He kept still for several minutes before he returned and started packing our things back into our bag.

"Did they leave?" I asked curiously but was given no answer. Did Varian not hear me? Or was the question so unintelligent that an answer wasn't needed?

"We need to go. Now," he whispered shortly and I could feel my hair stand on its edges.

"Who is it? Can you not overpower them?" I asked, allowing confusion to replace my curiosity.

Varian didn't reply immediately and I assumed he had gone back to ignoring me for some unexplainable reason that only he seemed to know and understand. But finally he answered, his words holding little to no emotion.

"They've found us. The scientists are here."

Tension curled itself around Varian and I like an unwelcome friend. I just remained in the thin silence, unsure of what to do or say. But then it came to me.

"We can turn ourselves in," I murmured, the panic easing slightly.

If we turned ourselves in, we would be punished without a doubt. But turning ourselves in willingly would greatly lessen the punishment. The lab coats would punish us, but take us back to the safety of the Lab. We would be hidden from the harsh Outside, back to the sense of security the Lab brought.

But Varian didn't seem to agree with me. He had whirled around, his eyes wide with disbelief. I could see hint of anger in various places of his face. For once, I understood the reason behind Varian's dark features.